"Distance Not an Issue"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2022
I see (Distance is not an issue) many times on tryout flyers. How can distance not be an issue? If I live in Raleigh (NC), how can we practice with a team hours away? Are the people saying distance is not an issue, expecting the people to make the team practices or just show up for the tournaments? Don't practices allow for teams to gel and become a cohesive unit? I am fortunate we are not in this situation, but I just wonder what people that say it mean.

May 29, 2015
I can't say it with certainty, but my experience is that the team is willing to excuse practices and only expects the player to come to tournaments. For some, more rural areas, this is almost a necessity.

Oct 4, 2018
I see (Distance is not an issue) many times on tryout flyers. How can distance not be an issue? If I live in Raleigh (NC), how can we practice with a team hours away? Are the people saying distance is not an issue, expecting the people to make the team practices or just show up for the tournaments? Don't practices allow for teams to gel and become a cohesive unit? I am fortunate we are not in this situation, but I just wonder what people that say it mean.

You don't have to go to practice. Just tournaments.

To me, it means one of two things:

1) They are desperate for players
2) They are a national team that has players from all over, and they need a final stud or two to complete the puzzle

Jun 8, 2016
If two teams are equally talented, the one that practices more often as a team will have an advantage. Thing is most of these teams which take kids from all over are usually much more talented than 95% of the teams they play and the ones who are as talented as them probably don't practice either.

Jun 8, 2016
I mean my DD's team has been working on bunt defense at practice for the last month and I guarantee they still f' it up at least 5 times next time they play not because they don't know what to do but because the skills involved in successfully doing it (throwing/fielding on the run, etc) have not been developed enough..those can be developed at home with your parent/instructor.

May 29, 2015
I mean my DD's team has been working on bunt defense at practice for the last month and I guarantee they still f' it up at least 5 times next time they play not because they don't know what to do but because the skills involved in successfully doing it (throwing/fielding on the run, etc) have not been developed enough..those can be developed at home with your parent/instructor.

Call back to another conversation going on (Where have all the pitchers gone?) ...

Those skills can be developed at home ... but if that isn't happening then why is the coach not doing his job? If they can't execute the bunt defense because there are throwing and fielding deficiencies, then the coach is insane* for continuing to work on bunt defenses without building the necessary skills first.

unknown1-2x.jpg

Jun 8, 2016
Call back to another conversation going on (Where have all the pitchers gone?) ...

Those skills can be developed at home ... but if that isn't happening then why is the coach not doing his job? If they can't execute the bunt defense because there are throwing and fielding deficiencies, then the coach is insane* for continuing to work on bunt defenses without building the necessary skills first.

I was exaggerating how bad they are (for the sake of this thread) but yes I agree. They have lost 3 or 4 games this year because of a botched bunt coverage. He does do some work with them on certain skill things but (IMO) he doesn't give enough actual instruction with the drills he has them do.

Part of it is also just a ceiling on certain kids..Finally, part of it is also that they are better at it in practice and choke in the games..that is a different issue altogether.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
Do they also say they focus on player development?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad