Sharing Private Information

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DOB shouldn't be posted, only graduation year. And no phone number, just their recruiting email address.

Although these kids put everything out there these days on Snap and Tiktok, if someone wants to find them they will.
I agree with these comments. The truth is that there is a lot of information available on the web that is pretty easy to access to those that know how. One of my associates came to see me a few months ago asking how another associate got their phone number. He accused the company of sharing that information. I asked the associate to hold on a minute. I went to FB, punched in his name, and within a few seconds, I found his profile. Not only was his phone number listed, but I also showed him his birthdate and email address. It was all right there.

If there is certain information you do not want to make available, I agree that you need to be careful. But be careful on all platforms.

Jul 19, 2021
Since I moved on from the other thread re: private health info there is another issue with shared private information (non-health related) that has always caught my attention. How do you (general you) feel about your dd’s coaches/teams putting recruiting sheets on display (both on the internet and in flyers) which many contain player pic, DOB, school and town, phone number, email, etc?

I was at a showcase event yesterday and several teams had their flyers just hanging on the fence - absolutely anyone could take one. Obviously the ones posted on the internet can reach an even larger amount of people. Do you not worry about that type of info being shared?
Have you actually seen recruiting sheets with a kid's DOB and phone number? I haven't. They all list the High School Class year and some list an email address but that's it. No one lists all that info you're talking about. And I have zero concerns about their high school, Class year and email address being listed.

Jun 8, 2016
Have you actually seen recruiting sheets with a kid's DOB and phone number? I haven't. They all list the High School Class year and some list an email address but that's it. No one lists all that info you're talking about. And I have zero concerns about their high school, Class year and email address being listed.
I don't see DOB but kid's phone numbers I do see.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Perhaps the list of what is available through general public information will clear this up.
Simply,
Privacy may be a thing of the past.

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Your teams chat group 🤫...
People posting in discussion forums 🤔...
Have replaced ma & pa chatting on the porch with neighbors....

Could just be
Once the internet started people through privacy out the window.

May 27, 2013

Yep - just checked one team’s site and it’s all right there, including DOB and phone # - National level 18U team.

May 17, 2012
Yep - just checked one team’s site and it’s all right there, including DOB and phone # - National level 18U team.

And? How many people do you know have had their identity stolen from travel softball? Most people at 16u/18u are playing for exposure. They are exposed.

It's easier to gather the information online than it is to socially engineer it at softball fields.

May 27, 2013
And? How many people do you know have had their identity stolen from travel softball? Most people at 16u/18u are playing for exposure. They are exposed.

It's easier to gather the information online than it is to socially engineer it at softball fields.

No idea. Like I’ve said - had my DD’s info out there as well. Was just wondering if any posters had concerns about it. Just a question to ponder.

Jul 19, 2021
A lot of 18u girls are 18. Ie.... Adults.

I don't worry. Hackers are gonna get the info online by the thousands. They're not interested in trolling softball fields to get identities 12 at a time when they can hack into one file and get 500,000 of them in one fell swoop.

May 27, 2013
A lot of 18u girls are 18. Ie.... Adults.

Some are - but most are not within the two orgs whose profiles I saw which listed DOB, phone #, home address, etc.

Just seems like a lot to voluntarily put out there on a minor when you stop to think about it for a moment.

Jul 19, 2021
Some are - but most are not within the two orgs whose profiles I saw which listed DOB, phone #, home address, etc.

Just seems like a lot to voluntarily put out there on a minor when you stop to think about it for a moment.
I come from the days of the telephone book where everyone's name, address and phone number were listed for all to see. And they survived. I just don't see the issue of someone knowing your phone # and address? So some stranger calls or texts them. Ok, just block them. Maybe I'm being too lackadaisical in regards to personal security but I can't go around living in fear.

Definitely a good discussion though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad