Sharing Private Information

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Since I moved on from the other thread re: private health info there is another issue with shared private information (non-health related) that has always caught my attention. How do you (general you) feel about your dd’s coaches/teams putting recruiting sheets on display (both on the internet and in flyers) which many contain player pic, DOB, school and town, phone number, email, etc?

I was at a showcase event yesterday and several teams had their flyers just hanging on the fence - absolutely anyone could take one. Obviously the ones posted on the internet can reach an even larger amount of people. Do you not worry about that type of info being shared?

Jun 8, 2016
It’s worrisome but at this point I am pretty sure the horse has left the barn on that issue. When we first started with DD’s org we used to have to sign a consent form every year to let them put her picture on the internet. I don’t think we have had that option in 3 years..

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Choice and a requirement are two different things.

Not certain if I've ever seen this but a player if they did not want to just put their information on a piece of paper anybody could take they could have their picture and jersey number saying if you're interested in this player please ask for her information 🤷‍♀️

( picture would be irrelevant because in public anybody can take a picture of anybody)

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If you're wanting to be known enough to get recruited, your picture and info isn't just on a piece of paper at a ballgame, it's on team webpages, recruiting sites, Youtube videos, and it's probably splattered all over the local newspaper website when they do their "all district" or "all state" HS sports coverage. You don't have to put the full DOB (month & year are good enough), and you don't have to hand out the kid's phone number, but you're not going to be able to remain anonymous.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Choice and a requirement are two different things.

Not certain if I've ever seen this but a player if they did not want to just put their information on a piece of paper anybody could take they could have their picture and jersey number saying if you're interested in this player please ask for her information 🤷‍♀️

( picture would be irrelevant because in public anybody can take a picture of anybody)
Yes, there is always a choice. One choice being deciding not to participate on a team which requires/asks for the info.

I get what you’re saying about the photos; however, when recruiting flyers are posted online the info attached to that individual‘s photo is all right there. Your idea of just pic and jersey number is a good alternative.

I guess I’m just surprised at the sheer number of people that willingly share that info (across all sports) - and yes, I was one of them with my dd.

Aug 10, 2020
DOB shouldn't be posted, only graduation year. And no phone number, just their recruiting email address.

Although these kids put everything out there these days on Snap and Tiktok, if someone wants to find them they will.

Aug 5, 2022
Ours have name positions grad year home town and high school and their social media accounts twitter, e-mail insta etc. no dob or phone # and once they commit no info just their grad year and the logo of the school they are committed too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
I guess what I’m trying to allude to is the risk of identity theft with all the info easily accessible in one spot - particularly when posted on the internet.

ETA: Then there is the concern of online stalkers, as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00