discussion on college D1 illegal pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I feel that with more IPs being called at the college level, maybe umps will pay more attention at the younger level, now. We can only hope.

By the way, one of my 10 YO students had an IP called on her in a rec game last week. The reason for the call, "Her stride was too long." :confused:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
"Her stride was too long." HAHAHAHAHA, that's a good one!

Not only do the umpires need to be paying better attention at the younger levels, the coaches need to be teaching how to not throw "illegally". This could be a rough road, putting a halt to illegal pitches, but one that is necessary.

Jul 28, 2008
Amy,

I would be very upset with that one. Now that pitcher is going to shorten her stride after you work with them to make it longer.

I would really like all of the umpires to learn the rules on pitching like the back of their hands, then enforce them properly. Some are good at this, most are bad. I remember watching Caitlin Noble leap her way on to the UW team. Then I watched her get called for leaping 4 straight pitches against U of Alabama a couple of years back before finally getting pulled. In comes Aleah Macon, who gets called for crow hopping. The umpires are not doing the girls a favor at the younger ages by letting the IP's slide.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. I talked to the mom of my student. The ump didn't call IP. The opposing coach ( at a 10YO LL scrimmage game) came out yelling at my 5th grade student, that her stride was too long. Evidently, the ump in charge, was in the bleachers and he told them there was nothing wrong with my student. But, still the coach was yelling about it and my student is worried about it, now.

The opposing coach lost 8-6.

Jan 27, 2010
I watched the beginning of the Florida/Alabama game three yesterday and the ump called an IP on Strombacher,then they showed in slow motion.I'm not so sure there was anything illegal with the pitch. I think some umps are getting a little trigger happy with their calls. Apparently, there is more pressure this year to make the IP calls than in the past. If there is no question a pitch is blatantly illegal, it should be called.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
My DD coaches a high school team, her pitcher got a IP called last week on a back hand change.
He claimed it was an illegal pitch because the palm didn't face the batter at release. To say the least she was furious!

Jul 28, 2008
My DD coaches a high school team, her pitcher got a IP called last week on a back hand change.
He claimed it was an illegal pitch because the palm didn't face the batter at release. To say the least she was furious!

Every pitch, other than the fastball and peel drop has now just been declared an IP by this umpire.

Jan 27, 2010
It would be nice if the umps were required to know the rules,but it doesn't seem that is necessary. A young girl was in the box on the left hand batters side to slap bunt and then switched to the right side after a couple of pitchs. The ump told her she couldn't switch since she started on the left side. I showed her the rule in the NFHS rule book after the game. She said she was not aware of that rule.OOPS!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves