Discuss new batter rule pending. What do u think

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2010
Ok,
Many sides to this one???
New rule close to being passed, as I think I heard, ASA and NSA are pushing to have done b-4 spring 2011 starts??
Batter hits at or "hits" pitcher, 1st warring, 2nd time she is out, 3rd time done for the weekend?

For the most part the "shot up the middle" is just that (i really hope). Is this really becoming an issue??
The many I have seen and two really bad ones the girls that have hit a pitcher really felt bad, crying bad. and that one was a 16u.
Just how much bubble wrap are we going to need for this sport?
Don't misunderstand I want my dd's to grow up to be beautiful adults. !3u is a pitcher. BUT COME ON.

I guess if a ump can see that a batter is taking shots at a pitcher maybe there needs to be a rule?? But man that is a tuff call.

I have 2 girls. I have yet to ever hear of a kid or a coach saying "go after the pitcher"

I guess there out there? It's really bad if they are. Just wrong. My girls play at the elite level and that thought never crossed my mind and darn well it better never cross my kids mind. If I hear a coach say it, that's last inning she will play till I have the coach removed with charges pressed.

I can't believe there are that many girls and coaches gunning for a pitcher???

Really fired up about this.

Last edited:
May 26, 2010
Central NJ
I think this rule would give way too much credit to the abilities of a hitter. I don't know any hitters who have that kind of aim. Maybe they are out there, but I've never seen them. This rule sounds like a knee jerk reaction by someone who has never played the game.

Jun 22, 2008
You may be hearing about slow pitch rules. Those guys can pretty much pick exactly where they want the ball to go. I have heard nothing about any rules for fast pitch.

Nov 8, 2010
You may be hearing about slow pitch rules. Those guys can pretty much pick exactly where they want the ball to go. I have heard nothing about any rules for fast pitch.

I knew of the slowpitch. But understood thay want it in fastpitch this year

Jul 26, 2010
First of all, the rules are decided in November. The rulebooks have already been printed and passed out for this year. The next rules meeting won't be until fall.

Second, this is a slowpitch rule. . . if you've ever watched a pro slowpitch game you'll see the pitcher wearing what equates to catcher's gear, and a few of them have died from hits. No such injury rate in fastpitch and therefor no reason to implement a safety rule.

-W

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Ok,
Many sides to this one???
New rule close to being passed, as I think I heard, ASA and NSA are pushing to have done b-4 spring 2011 starts??
Batter hits at or "hits" pitcher, 1st warring, 2nd time she is out, 3rd time done for the weekend?

To start, as previously noted, ASA proposed changes are submitted up a given date, discussed and voted upon in November.

Secondly, it is one of the dumbest things out there regardless of the game being addressed.

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
Agree with everyone's comments. Rules are set for this year, mostly likely a slow pitch rule anyway, and no kid out there looks to intentionally hit the pitcher.

As a side note, when I played slow pitch I hit the pitcher twice in the same game. I was always taught hit up the middle so I did. My intention was not to hit the pitcher but to get a hit. The pitcher was pretty banged up after the 2nd ball hit his knee. The third time up to bat they intentionally walked me.

Jul 26, 2010
Most people are taught to hit up the middle, especially for any pitches that are down the middle. Hitting an inside and outside pitch to the opposite field is a more advanced skill taught later.

In fact, this is largely why so many coaches are against allowing their pitchers to pitch BP. Pitchers paint the corners for safety reasons as much as they do to get strikes, if they pitch a bunch of balls down the middle to a team that knows how to hit hard, injury is almost inevitable. Using a pitcher screen prevents this type of injury in practice, not pitching down the middle prevents injury in games.

BTW, the rule to make it illegal to hit the pitcher in slowpitch was only a proposal and it was not adopted, at least not in ASA. All of the 2011 rules changes for fastpitch and slowpitch can be found here: http://downloads.asasoftball.com/umpires/pdf/2011PlayingRuleChangeswithComments.pdf

-W

This is a good forum for discussions on rules and officiating in softball: Softball - The Official Forum

Nov 29, 2009
Pitchers paint the corners for safety reasons as much as they do to get strikes, if they pitch a bunch of balls down the middle to a team that knows how to hit hard, injury is almost inevitable.

When I'm working with my advanced pitchers I call it a "Duck and Cover" pitch if they throw one fat because that's what they'll be doing if the batter puts that ball in play.

I work reaction drills with them to teach them how to protect themselves but I also teach them how to anticipate a possible come-backer. What I tell is they are the first one on the field know they made a mistake with a pitch. Once they realize they've made the mistake they need to get their body into a position where they can defend themselves. It may only give them a fraction of a second more time, but often that's the difference between a knocked down ball and a potential serious injury.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd