Disbanded Team ~ Follow-up!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sorry for so many questions, but we've not been through this before! Our older DD's team has been together (the core) since she was 6!

Since younger DD's team is disbanding, how do we go about disbursing funds and are there rules about it? We have a couple of people on the team who want us to pay them back for the amount "over and above" the required amount that we fundraised for. For example, say that $500 was required per player and one player brought in $750. That player now wants us to give her back $250 (or the appropriate "ratio") rather than the $125 if it was divided evenly. Is that how it normally works? We did not have this noted in our by-laws (though I now realize that we should have).

Does it also make a difference if the ones that want this are two of the coaches who left the team, which (I believe) really caused the implosion of the team as a whole?

Any thoughts are welcome!

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
This is why we carry very little money over. Once all our tourneys, uniforms and all expenses are paid, if we have any money left, we will have a picnic or we spend it on the kids at Nationals. We basically start with zero balance at the start of each season. The way we look at it, its not our money in the first place, its the kids.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
IF as you say in your previous post, that you are going to try to continue the team, I would keep all the money for the team. Use it to buy practice shirts or uniforms or needed equipment.

Unfortunately, with the determination that we have only 3-4 girls and no coaches, it has been decided to not continue the team. I agree with the thought of having a zero balance at the end of the year (as well as all actions spelled out clearly in black and white should something like this ever happen again).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, you should take $250 out of the kitty and give it to her so that everyone has contributed the same amount. After that, distribute the rest evenly between the team.

Otherwise, all you are doing is dividing up the $250 between her teammates.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
disbanding is like divorce, I have never seen a pretty one where everything
is cotton candy and gumdrops. We go into the season with schedule/tourney costs
and uniform costs in hand (fixed expenses). Divide it amongst players and viola
the magic # for beginning travel season. The overnight tournaments cost are determined
30 days in advance, we use fundraising $ to pay this. We do not have cash leftover at seasons
end because it all belongs to the teammates and families.

Oct 18, 2009
IMHO, you should take $250 out of the kitty and give it to her so that everyone has contributed the same amount. After that, distribute the rest evenly between the team.

Otherwise, all you are doing is dividing up the $250 between her teammates.

this seems to be fair.

An organization just disbanned here - leaving only 1 team standing out of many. There was $6k left in the kitty. The "board" of the organization met and, according to some, split the money. IMHO, the money left should have gone to the single team still carrying the organization's name. Sticky situation...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff