"Disbanded" Definition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My younger DD's team has basically fallen apart. All three coaches have left and only 3 - 4 of the girls have indicated interest in returning. Most, including my daughter, are looking for more competitive team. That said, the parents of the 3 - 4 who want to stay together feel that the team is not "disbanded" and that we should not look to disburse funds, etc., left from the team. They would prefer (of course) to leave that money "with the team" and, if they can fill the coaching positions and other 8 player positions, then they can utilize it. Is there an actual "disbanded" definition that I could provide to them? Thanks to all!

May 25, 2010
LOL! I'm laughing with tears on the inside because my daughter's team really has disbanded here as practices have begun, but I would say the first thing to consider is what sort of business entity your team is. Obviously, what constitutes a 'disbanding' of the team should've been agreed upon before you all began playing together, but hindsight always tells us things like that. :)

If the team is a registered non-profit, then the money should stay with the team, I'd think...not indefinitely, of course, but at least long enough to give the remaining members a reasonable opportunity to jump start the team again. If I were judge, I'd say that the start of the Spring 2011 season would be a reasonable deadline. That said, I do not know what happens to any remaining funds once a non-profit has run its course, as I've only been involved with those that were continuing, perhaps in perpetuity.

If the team is not a registered business, however, even if there was no agreement at the start of conducting business, I'd argue that the thing to do now is to disburse the funds. How much 'team money' are you talking about here?

Thanks for the into/thoughts! They were pretty much in line with my thinking. We are not a registered non-profit and there is not a whole bunch of money ~ about $2,000 to $2,400. I learned last night that one of the local leagues (which we did not play with, but at least it gives some guidance) says a team can maintain its "team status" if six players are remaining, so I think we're going to go with that and move forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283