Diffrent pitches 12u pitchers should know

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2020
They should know what they’re ready to know, demonstrated success means additional skills. 12u IMO should have at least 3 FB CU and some type of movement pitch ....I also encourage my students to use multiple grips to alter spin and velocity in smaller increments on the pitches they have in their arsenals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2018
CT
One game the pitcher was off on her drop ball and I turned to the dad on the other side of the fence and I genuinely asked if there are some cues that I could tell her to get back on track. He bluntly said, Well, don't call that pitch! I got kind of pissed. I wanted to help her and not abandon the pitch. But he's right, if it's not working, stop calling that pitch.

Absolutely. I once came on in relief, promptly walked 2...catcher came out, “what the hell is happening?” “I don’t know, I can’t throw my fastball today” “Ok....so, all sliders then?”. Threw 8 straight sliders to get out of it.

Oct 16, 2020
Good question. I had the same when my DD was going into her 1st yr 12U season. My DD, now a 2nd YR 12U, knows 6 but her TB Coach mostly calls 3 sometimes 4 in a game. Speaking with several TB coaches and PC's, 3 pitches that she has control over is key and is more important than knowing 6.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
At 12 mine had three, a great FB, a really good change, and a decent drop (that she hated throwing).

Locating the FB is key, throwing it anywhere in the zone or the river at will is the basis for those other two pitches to also work great!

Making sure a 12U pitcher knows her role and why she’s out there…..and a coach who knows his pitchers capabilities, can read hitters and call pitches accordingly is wayyy more important than 12 year old Sally having 8 different pitches!!

I used to feel like I was cheating when I called pitches in 12U!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
...and a coach who knows his pitchers capabilities, can read hitters and call pitches.....

accordingly is wayyy more important than 12 year old Sally having 8 different pitches!!

I used to feel like I was cheating when I called pitches in 12U!
....is hard to find.

Sep 19, 2018
What level are we talking about here? I think that makes a big difference. The quality of the other pitches also plays a big factor.

We are a solid average 12U B team. We've faced a low level A team a couple of times and of course gotten their #1 both times. She sits low 50s with really good control. I don't know all her pitches because she hasn't needed anything other velocity, location and an occasional change to handle us. My understanding is that our Org's A team beat her up pretty good.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just for compairison the top 12u pitchers around so cal and nor cal throw in the upper 50's. Even breaking 60 mph.
58 common.
And even a few 1st year 12's throwing 55 mph.

Can see variety of pitches movement's and off-speed in each.
They learn early on that hitters will dominate if only offering straight pitches.
Controlling variety of locations and spin become a long term goal these pitchers start working on definetly befor getting into 14u.

Oct 4, 2018
My DD is 11. Pitches low 50s, and has a solid fastball and change. After yesterday, I can officially say she has a curve. I said right behind the plate and it was awesome to see it move a few inches, getting calls and swings and misses on the outside corner all day and several backdoor. Really happy for her that it's finally working, and hope it sticks.

I do question people who are saying they have a fastball/drop. Does it drop because of gravity? Or is it really biting hard? I just encounter so many dads who think their DD has a drop ball and it's really not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06