Difference between West Coast teams and almost everyone else

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Tennessee lost 3 straight to Florida. Texas, when confronted with some good teams (Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M) goes 2-5.

I've been saying that neither Texas nor Tennessee was as good as their ranking. Believe it or not, I'm not psychic. The truth is that the west coast teams, and then a few teams in the rest of the country, play differently than everyone else.

These teams play softball hard for the entire game. "Play hard" in softball doesn't mean what people think it means--it isn't "sliding into 2nd base with the spikes up"--it means playing softball with a high level of precision for inning after inning.

Playing UCLA, Arizona, California, Stanford, Washington Georgia, Oklahoma and Florida isn't like playing Texas State. It is more than athletic ability of the players--it is the ability of those players to execute every phase of the game almost to perfection for not only the entire game, but for 14 or 15 innings, if necessary.

Most people don't have a clue what I mean when I talk about precise execution. Precise execution means that every player on the field does her job "the way God meant for it to be done"--every aspect, from throwing positioning to catch a ball, the mechanics of catching the ball, and throwing mechanics are almost perfect.

Softball is a game played on a very small field, where fractions of a second win and lose games. (Sloppy execution is the rule in MLB.)

The elite teams do it over and over and over again, inning and inning, game after game. The good teams (and you know who you are) don't...they put in about 5 good innings of above average execution. Against a lot of teams, that is all they need. But, it ain't enough against the elite teams.

Sure, UCLA and Arizona don't have the talent level of other teams this year. But watch their games...watch the way their kids field and execute. They are a joy to watch.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Hey Sluggers, looks like you are right about my Vols. Even if they get past KY they will more than likely face Florida in the next round. After this weekend I don't think TN mentally will be able to win. This has to do to do with the Vols being so young and your "play hard" philosophy. I've watched and listened to several games this year and in all of the close games and losses there have been untimely errors and too many runners left on base. I hope there are fewer of these instances next year as the team matures, but you have me wondering if the east coast is getting talented players and the west getting the talented players who "play hard" every play.

Jan 24, 2011
I wouldnt be too down on Tennesse just because of this past weekend. They are very young (only 1 senior) and have very good young pitching. Other than the last game against Florida , the other two were very close (4-3 and 2-0). They were nowhere close to being dominated and I dont think it can be said that they dont play hard every play.

Jul 26, 2010
Hey Sluggers, looks like you are right about my Vols. Even if they get past KY they will more than likely face Florida in the next round. After this weekend I don't think TN mentally will be able to win. This has to do to do with the Vols being so young and your "play hard" philosophy. I've watched and listened to several games this year and in all of the close games and losses there have been untimely errors and too many runners left on base. I hope there are fewer of these instances next year as the team matures, but you have me wondering if the east coast is getting talented players and the west getting the talented players who "play hard" every play.

They all recruit from the same piles of girls, and there are a lot of "west coast" kids playing for SEC teams. The difference is WHO gets recruited, not where they are from. The SEC wants big bats, they knew they'd have a lot of TV exposure and they wanted to go play glory ball, and now they're reaping what they sew. The west coast teams recruited the stronger over-all players because they remembered there are two sides to every inning.

-W

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Another difference is that East coast teams allow games to be shown on TV - West coast teams do not :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Regardless of where the college is located, it seems to me that every time I watch a game on TV I am less then impressed with the fielding. I don't see every team, but the games I see its one mistake after another.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs