Diagnosing Lean towards 3rd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hoping knightsb, JS or someone else with one of those fancy mark-it-up-n-compare apps can step up here...

May 17, 2012
This is a pitching fallacy that the pivot foot needs to be straight forward in the sprinters start. In fact, most of the elite pitchers actually turn their pivot foot slightly outward before they push off the rubber. This is a good thing. The difference is that Sprinters keep their shoulders square to the finish line when running while Pitchers are driving their body open to clear the body for the arm circle. Two different drive mechanics to achieve different objectives.

Never said the push foot had to be perfectly at 90 degrees in relation to the pitching mound. The OP asked why his DD was leaning or falling towards 3B.

There are some great example of pushing off the mound here: http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/5208-model-pitchers.html

Feb 7, 2013

Have you looked at the pitchers in the thread that you are linking to prove your point? Some of the greats of the game, Yukiko Ueno, Cat Osterman, Monica Abbott, etc. all turn their pivot foot out before push off. But you are suggesting that these are incorrect drive mechanics that are causing the OP DD to create body lean? I guess we will agree to disagree on this point....

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
IMO your problem is here:

closing_slow.gif

As knightsb brought up in the post from BM, the feet (and thus the body) should be around 45 degrees open through the circle. In the clip above your daughter appears to be forcing her body to fully open (watch the red stripe on her pants). At this point, she is in a position to recruit power the wrong way and will stick her butt out and effectively lean to 3rd.

I would recommend considering this post from abbygale in another thread:

But when she seriously worked on her glove whirl and keeping her knee facing mostly forward, that hip snap look started showing up and her speed picked up. Provided her drive out was quick. Now, remember, I'm bad with words so this might not make much sense.

Ask your DD if she can stop thinking about getting open, and just let it happen. A focus on keeping the knee facing forward should keep her from forcing herself open, and then the process of opening will become more natural. Hopefully this will change opening from something she does (a teach) to something that happens (no teach).

This change may also clean up the glove whirl. Glove whirl is usually a result of other problems, and working on it directly won't fix the root cause, it will just make doing it wrong look better ;).

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I dunno, I think 3rd base lean for a RHP is almost always caused by a desire to clear the hip and avoid any contact. There are a lot of 3rd base leaning pitchers out there, some are pretty darn good, but the common theme is a lack of brush. Encourage her to stay tall, keep the circle tighter to the body and let her know that a little brush is a good thing and the lean should go away.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
To me she is trying to get very open in the hips and leads with her chest in trying to muscle the ball, which leads to an unbalanced position during and after release resulting in the fall off towards 3rd base.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
I dunno, I think 3rd base lean for a RHP is almost always caused by a desire to clear the hip and avoid any contact. There are a lot of 3rd base leaning pitchers out there, some are pretty darn good, but the common theme is a lack of brush. Encourage her to stay tall, keep the circle tighter to the body and let her know that a little brush is a good thing and the lean should go away.

True, but I think that kind of hip clearing tilt is usually a lateral tilt. This young lady appears to be clearing her hip by getting excessively open. Like CLM265 mentions, she looks to be out of balance as a result of the opening mechanic keeping her out of position through to release.

Sep 26, 2014
NWI
Last night we were able to get some work in on the stride board as recommended. The lean towards third does appear to be less pronounced. We'll keep incorporating in practice for a while. One downside is that it resulted in a shortening in stride. Overlapping sequences were off a bit with this. We also worked on the lock it in through 3/4s progression with the 30-45 offset referenced by BM for Boomer's DD.

http://youtu.be/FQ1D_FT7HSM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1