Diagnosing Lean towards 3rd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2014
NWI
Wow this thread exploded with some great feedback. Won't be able to digest this all till tonight since my DD has team practice shortly.

1. We haven't used brush point cues at ear and hip since she started 2yrs ago. We do try and work on brush contact going into release every time we practice.

2. Knight you totally rock in pulling all those previous posts and breaking down photos from the video. And no you didn't hijack the thread. Leading to some great discussion and opinions.

3. We've used the stride board in the past and it sounds like we should incorporate it again. Only thing I've noticed though is her stride shorts up considerably following. Not sure if that's good, bad or indifferent.

I'll dive deeper into the replies this evening. Thank you all!

May 17, 2012
My DD actually leans to 1B, but that's another topic.

It starts with her feet. As someonse else pointed out she pulls the push foot center left AND then turns the push foot before it gets off the mound.

Solution: Wall sprints and an explanation that the stride leg internally rotates (which in turn opens the hips and rotates the back foot).

The push foot does not create the pivot!

Show her a video of a sprinter and ask if they turn their (push) foot coming out of the starting block. The answer is of course no, because the fastest way to get to the finish line is in a straight line. :)

Feb 7, 2013
Show her a video of a sprinter and ask if they turn their (push) foot coming out of the starting block. The answer is of course no, because the fastest way to get to the finish line is in a straight line. :)

This is a pitching fallacy that the pivot foot needs to be straight forward in the sprinters start. In fact, most of the elite pitchers actually turn their pivot foot slightly outward before they push off the rubber. This is a good thing. The difference is that Sprinters keep their shoulders square to the finish line when running while Pitchers are driving their body open to clear the body for the arm circle. Two different drive mechanics to achieve different objectives.

Feb 26, 2011
Wow this thread exploded with some great feedback. Won't be able to digest this all till tonight since my DD has team practice shortly.

1. We haven't used brush point cues at ear and hip since she started 2yrs ago. We do try and work on brush contact going into release every time we practice.

2. Knight you totally rock in pulling all those previous posts and breaking down photos from the video. And no you didn't hijack the thread. Leading to some great discussion and opinions.

3. We've used the stride board in the past and it sounds like we should incorporate it again. Only thing I've noticed though is her stride shorts up considerably following. Not sure if that's good, bad or indifferent.

I'll dive deeper into the replies this evening. Thank you all!

If you get a chance, in the model pitcher thread there is a few good views from in front or behind that show what I was trying to explain.

pg. 3 post 27,29,30
pg. 4 post 45,46
pg. 6 post 55

Those are just a few but notice where the ball is at 3 and see if it goes through their face.

Sep 26, 2014
NWI
Post a video from the throwing side.
Firm front side. Nose behind toes.

10_zps03d8cab3.png

Here's a side view from same session. http://youtu.be/L_C73oLAu90

Sep 26, 2014
NWI
So with working on the stride board should that done full pitching motion or just lock it in through 3/4s? If it's full motion just trying to figure out the drive foot slide to center and striking to propel forward?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan