depressing showcase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
Team playing poorly. DD playing poorly. And the #2 pitcher quit the team MID TOURNAMENT (mom unhappy that her DD wasn't playing in the field when she wasn't pitching - they joined the team less than 2 weeks ago). In short, we have issues.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would not be too worried in the Fall. There is a lot of transition from the Fall to the Spring, so your DD's team should have time to regroup. Kind of hard to believe that the #2 pitcher quit in the middle of the tournament. The softball community is pretty small, so to get a bad reputation as a 'quitter' or 'psycho softball parent' can have a negative impact on her finding another team!

Apr 6, 2012
It is Fall and if your coach is like most coaches, he/she is trying to figure out the skill level of any new players, how the team plays together, etc. Don't get hung up on wins and losses. As I tell my team, play hard, do your best, play to win, but Fall is Fall and it's where we are in the summer that really matters. With lots of new players, we are trying to see what we need to work on in the winter. I am also giving players a chance to show what they can do. If that means we lose a few games, so be it.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Yeah, don't take the fall too seriously, especially if you are on a new team, or have new players on your team. Everybody is just figuring out what to do and where to do it for the most part.

We saw a girl on another team who's father pulled her off the field and told her to pack her stuff and they left, right in the middle of the game, apparently the coach said something he didn't like. That is poor and several of the teams saw it, so she'll have to go out of town to find a team now. Shame because she is a good ball player but her dad is crazy!

Dec 7, 2011
I think I am going to focus purely on specific school camps this coming season. I hear nothing but mostly 'bad' stuff on the outcomes of these.....

Anybody want to suggest to me I am doing my DD a disservice with this?

Jul 26, 2010
Not sure what a parent is focusing on has much impact on a teenage softball player, but have at it ;)

-W

Dec 7, 2011
Not sure what a parent is focusing on has much impact on a teenage softball player, but have at it ;)

-W

Snuffy - you have a child trying to "make it" to a scholarship? Are you opposed to a parent trying to help their child? You think I don't get that a child has to perform on their own? You think I think I will be around all the time to call her pitches? Really???

(I am trying to understand the tone you have had recently.....)

Jul 26, 2010
Heh, sorry RubberBiscuit. I think I was channeling my frustrations with my own 14 year old in that post.

Honestly though I'm not sure what you're inferring with your original post. Do you mean that you're not going to have her play on a 18G TB team and just do camps, or that you're doing both but focus recruiting around the camps, or?

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi