Denny Tincher on the Crow Hop.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
He says what I have tried to say, in the past.

Problems Associated With Crow-Hop
March 28, 2013 by Denny Leave a Comment
The Crow-Hop Really Hurts a pitcher. This is one pitch that probably should not be illegal because the replant (or crow-hop) takes a lot of energy from the pitch. However, few people understand the problem or how to fix it. First, what harm does it cause? When we meet a kid with a re-plant, I challenge her to a race off the mound. In the race, I am allowed to jump straight forward, but she has to jump forward six inches, replant and then finish the jump. Immediately they realize they can’t win. Then we explain that the arm actually has to slow down to wait for the foot to re-plant and then fire a second time. A crow-hop doesn’t mean a pitcher is bad, but imagine the speed she can get without it. The re-plant also throws a pitcher’s shoulders over the front foot, limiting her effectiveness on many breaking pitches.
So, what is the cause? My daughter explained this to me one a long time ago. As a pitcher pushes off the mound the hips are so lost behind the pitcher that she is forced to plant the push foot again, try to reverse the posture, and start in a more dominant position.
How to fix? This may be the toughest fix in pitching and it could take several pages to explain various tactics. Put simply, do not let her start this way. If she has the problem, search till you find someone who can fix it. If your instructor can’t figure out how to fix it, have that person call me. Always glad to help.

Jul 26, 2010
Funny, but Angela had a gym step and was called on it in college. Guess that was OK with him.

If I didn't have my own kid or students with one problem or another, I'd never know how to fix them, I mean honestly KNOW, not "I read on the internet that X works".

Just sayin.

-W

Dec 16, 2010
What is a gym step? Is it illegal?

Other than her game against Team USA, I don't see a lot of video of Angela Tincher pitching.

Jul 3, 2019
He says what I have tried to say, in the past.

Problems Associated With Crow-Hop
March 28, 2013 by Denny Leave a Comment
The Crow-Hop Really Hurts a pitcher. This is one pitch that probably should not be illegal because the replant (or crow-hop) takes a lot of energy from the pitch. However, few people understand the problem or how to fix it. First, what harm does it cause? When we meet a kid with a re-plant, I challenge her to a race off the mound. In the race, I am allowed to jump straight forward, but she has to jump forward six inches, replant and then finish the jump. Immediately they realize they can’t win. Then we explain that the arm actually has to slow down to wait for the foot to re-plant and then fire a second time. A crow-hop doesn’t mean a pitcher is bad, but imagine the speed she can get without it. The re-plant also throws a pitcher’s shoulders over the front foot, limiting her effectiveness on many breaking pitches.
So, what is the cause? My daughter explained this to me one a long time ago. As a pitcher pushes off the mound the hips are so lost behind the pitcher that she is forced to plant the push foot again, try to reverse the posture, and start in a more dominant position.
How to fix? This may be the toughest fix in pitching and it could take several pages to explain various tactics. Put simply, do not let her start this way. If she has the problem, search till you find someone who can fix it. If your instructor can’t figure out how to fix it, have that person call me. Always glad to help.
My DD has this problem! She is 15 now and her local PC’s never addressed it!! She is working with a coach now who is trying but it is a slow process!!

May 29, 2015
Best of luck with breaking the habit BlackBearMom. I think my biggest criticism (as an umpire, former coach and softball parent) is that

[WARNING - BROAD GENERALIZATION AHEAD]

pitching coaches only want to work on building up speed and teaching pitches. They spend very little time working on correcting illegal mechanics or even teaching pitchers the rules of pitching.

Jan 28, 2017
When my DD started she would leap but really it was that her toe was pointing up instead of down. Put a piece of clothe under her drag foot and made her drag it. Really it was just pointing her toe down for her.

She use a gym step every once and awhile. For her it is because she rocks back to the side instead of just back. Both were easy fixes but have to make it a habit again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06