Demarini Prism

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017
This thread is pretty entertaining. I love the business perspective talk. At the end of the day, from someone who only has an interest in finding the best tools available for my daughter, I would buy this bat in a heartbeat if it actually produced batting distances of an extra 10-15 feet for a HS girl with moderately less-than-an-elite college swing...say sub 70 mph Zepp speed. The Ghost does a pretty good job of that out of the wrapper, durability warts and all. If the Prism does that much or better, it will sell like hot cakes. Fact.

Jun 6, 2018
from someone who only has an interest in finding the best tools available for my daughter, I would buy this bat in a heartbeat if it actually produced batting distances of an extra 10-15 feet for a HS girl with moderately less-than-an-elite college swing...say sub 70 mph Zepp speed. The Ghost does a pretty good job of that out of the wrapper, durability warts and all. If the Prism does that much or better, it will sell like hot cakes. Fact.

That is what it all boils down to and once the bat is out there and enough data is formulated first hand then this is either a hit and Demarini is back in fastpitch bat business or it is just another bat in a crowded marketplace.

I am interested to see how it does. My only concern at this point is that the bat was done and tested back in December. With a number of big time college organizations being Demarini schools and recently having the College world series with Washington in the finals why were they not using this bat and instead had the majority of players swinging CF8's?

My brain has me thinking the bat might not be all that and the Washington players stuck to their CF8's or the marketing people at Demarini are severely incompetent and missed a golden opportunity to pre-market the bat. I mean what better than saying "Washington just used our new Prism bat and won the college world series and in a couple of weeks you can use it to so get your preorders in now." (Easton never seems to miss the boat on the baseball side since they payoff the little league world series and always have their new bats in the hands of the kids before they are out at the stores to buy.)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Dang.

And a rep is a business owner. Not brick and mortar, of course, but in the same sense as he’s selling a product for profit.

Not even close as being the same. There are a million people calling themselves "reps" out there that just run around on facebook peddling a stores inventory.
These people own nothing, their name isn't on any contract with any manufacturer. They have no tax number or anything, they aren't even recognized by anybody.
And they are the reason for most of whats going on right now. Matter in fact, most are committing tax evasion and don't claim any money. Its all under
the table.

Now, if they are REAL reps...like someone who works for the manufacturer that goes to the real stores and takes orders and promotes...I will agree with you.
Also, if the person gets a paycheck from a store and is a real eomployee, I will also agree.

But these internet "reps" are nothing and have done nothing but create most of the problem.

But again, funny how the only stores with these "reps" are the big stores...hahaha. Nothing like creating the problem then crying when It happens
and blaming small business for the issue.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018
That is what it all boils down to and once the bat is out there and enough data is formulated first hand then this is either a hit and Demarini is back in fastpitch bat business or it is just another bat in a crowded marketplace.

I am interested to see how it does. My only concern at this point is that the bat was done and tested back in December. With a number of big time college organizations being Demarini schools and recently having the College world series with Washington in the finals why were they not using this bat and instead had the majority of players swinging CF8's?

My brain has me thinking the bat might not be all that and the Washington players stuck to their CF8's or the marketing people at Demarini are severely incompetent and missed a golden opportunity to pre-market the bat. I mean what better than saying "Washington just used our new Prism bat and won the college world series and in a couple of weeks you can use it to so get your preorders in now." (Easton never seems to miss the boat on the baseball side since they payoff the little league world series and always have their new bats in the hands of the kids before they are out at the stores to buy.)
Not sure it was on the NCAA approved bat list at that time..could be wrong though...have a separate question what is the theory behind this bat allegedly..thank you

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
They set their terms at 120+days with a 100% buy back, so manufacturers are at their mercy to a certain extent.

I do have a question, because it seems you are trying to make what Wilson did sound better.

If the huge stores have the 100% buyback...why do most of them have blowouts to sell for nothing or losses if they could just give the bats
back for no loss and call it a day? Why do most stores have old bats laying around just to lose money, again, if they could just give
them back at no loss?

Or are you just talking about Dicks/Academy/SA (when they were around) and such? And not other huge stores that also sell online.

Again, just questions

May 23, 2015
I do have a question, because it seems you are trying to make what Wilson did sound better.

If the huge stores have the 100% buyback...why do most of them have blowouts to sell for nothing or losses if they could just give the bats
back for no loss and call it a day? Why do most stores have old bats laying around just to lose money, again, if they could just give
them back at no loss?

I'm not trying to make anyone sound better. I don't have a dog in the fight. It's just good business sense to protect your market and keep higher margins in the pockets of your retailers otherwise your business will cease to exist. I don't know if you have a store, but I ASSUME that you're operating expenses are lower than a big box retailer and you don't have a building that costs $30k/month +++++. I ASSUME you can operate on a lower margin due to lower expenses, so why would a big box store or high volume dealer sell a manufacturers product when the cash outlay is high and the margins have been beat to death buy low cost operations? Why pay $150 wholesale for a bat and sell it for $165. The juice aint worth the squeeze, so these big money players question manufacturers and hold their feet to the fire. Same reason you don't see new Chevrolet cars being sold out of someones backyard. All Star Catchers gear doesn't allow discounts and they will cut you off in a second also.

OK now the buyback. Retailers with big checkbooks and great credit will negotiate deals with manufacturers that the average Joe will never have access to. TYPICALLY they will have a lower price option with assuming all inventory risks and getting no service after the sale from the manufacturer. Like Costco. They want the lowest price possible on peanut butter and all returns will be salvaged or go in the trash with no cash from Jif. Other times the manufacturers will offer merchandise at a set price and negotiate the amount of credit issued through a return to vendor program. That number will also play a part at markdown time. Sometimes they will say sell it through, keep the money, and you'll get credit on your next order. Sometimes they'll credit you based on your markdowns........ There's a ton of ways to play the game and it makes good sense because you want the retailer to carry you 2019 line of widgets.

Amazon is a different beast all together. A huge percentage of their stuff is sold on straight consignment from manufacturers. Click on the link below, DeMarini brand. and look at the web address it redirects you to. Amazon makes a referral fee.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=demarini+prism

Now check this link. Notice that LS is the seller and they're the lowest price for a new bat? Amazon guards that price position for LS. Even when you click on the Louisville Slugger seller link is takes you to their Amazon storefront
https://www.amazon.com/Louisville-S...96&sr=8-1&keywords=louisville+xeno&th=1&psc=1

Here's Easton. They have the same redirect. They're fixing the price as well
https://www.amazon.com/Easton-Women...04170&sr=1-1&keywords=easton+ghost&th=1&psc=1

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interesting. I have bought All-Star catcher's gear at a discount...from legit All-Star retailers...more than once.

May 23, 2015
Interesting. I have bought All-Star catcher's gear at a discount...from legit All-Star retailers...more than once.

From an online advertised price, at the MLB discount through All Star directly, or a local brick and mortar? All Star should also be excluded from coupon code sales as well

May 24, 2013
So Cal
From an online advertised price, at the MLB discount through All Star directly, or a local brick and mortar? All Star should also be excluded from coupon code sales as well

Neither were advertised prices. One was a custom order through a brick-and-mortar chain. The other sells All-Star gear as a supplement to their primary business. In both cases, I was able to buy for less than the MAP pricing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez