DD's teacher...had to share this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Ask yourself - Would your DD skip the AP exam for that subject at the end of the year if there is a conflict with softball? Because the dates for those exams are inflexible. Same with the SATs - if there is a conflict, softball or the SATs? Sometimes you have to make choices. The teacher did not create the scheduling conflict, and if it's teacher going to softball coach or softball coach going to teacher, it should be the softball coach going to the teacher, as he/she is the one asking for the exception for their player.

Mar 1, 2015
Several things:

1) wife is a teacher - she thinks it is completely inappropriate for a teacher to have a students phone number / text with them. If anything or anyone ever ever ever ever ever ever ever claims anything inappropriate happened..never put yourself in a position to even receive something you don't want to deal with. EDIT - not sure if imagine in original post is text or email.
2) is softball a school sponsored activity? If so then the teacher is WAY out of line. If not then the student needs to accept the consequences of missing class. I say that because at her school (roughly 1,500 students) there is very clear communication between the athletic department and teachers.
3) is the teacher new? I can't imagine this is their first rodeo with a student athlete having to attend sports and miss class. If not new teacher, then they are playing the passive aggressive game with the coach. If new teacher, student athlete needs to tell coach what is going on and coach, with AD support, needs to talk to teacher.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DW was adamant that my DD's class schedule had PE last. She had to fight with school administrators, but got it done. Was the best thing she ever did as DD missed 7th period @ 40% of the time Fall semester (we play HS ball in the fall).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD has been lucky in college, her coach has the strange ideal that education comes first and softball second.

High school was different it was always a battle with teachers and the softball and basketball schedule.

A good college athletic department knows which professors for athletes to avoid.....

Nov 29, 2009
A good college athletic department knows which professors for athletes to avoid.....

The other thing a lot colleges do is to let the students/athletes know which classes not to take in season. Don't want a Friday or early Monday class due to travel.

Feb 3, 2011
Several things:

1) wife is a teacher - she thinks it is completely inappropriate for a teacher to have a students phone number / text with them. If anything or anyone ever ever ever ever ever ever ever claims anything inappropriate happened..never put yourself in a position to even receive something you don't want to deal with. EDIT - not sure if imagine in original post is text or email..
It doesn't matter. Hackers/spammers can make it appear that untoward messages are being sent from one party to another by either text or by email. When I was a child, I didn't have my teachers' phone numbers, but I did have permission to stop by and visit with them before or after school. Some of DD's teachers allow students to reach out to them at night and on weekends. I don't think that's acceptable at all (for children to take advantage of it), but it's the teachers' time to do with as they will.

Ask yourself - Would your DD skip the AP exam for that subject at the end of the year if there is a conflict with softball? Because the dates for those exams are inflexible. Same with the SATs - if there is a conflict, softball or the SATs? Sometimes you have to make choices. The teacher did not create the scheduling conflict, and if it's teacher going to softball coach or softball coach going to teacher, it should be the softball coach going to the teacher, as he/she is the one asking for the exception for their player.
Precisely. Sometimes students are going to miss classes, sometimes they're going to miss games. I don't think it should be all one way or the other.

The student shouldn't be in the middle, unless all 3 parties are in the same room together.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'm sorry in advance for this, but DW is a teacher as well and it sounds as if this particular teacher doesn't particularly want to give up his "free period." In other words, a time slot that he has very little to do other than grade papers, write down his lesson plan for the upcoming week so that the administrators stay off his back, make copies, go to the office to deal with officialdom cr@p, fill out more paperwork/education plans for the special ed kids that are being mainstreamed and the rest of the "No Kids Left Behind" BS that comes with it. Don't get me wrong, there's times when they have nothing to do, yet, almost always, there's something to do. So to give up this particular amount of time at school, means they will have to do something at home which they are loathe to do.

That said, SB is a school sponsored activity and they will just have to deal with it as DW does. To put your DD in the middle of it is just plain wrong IMO. They need to work with the coaches not your DD.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Gah...it got stickier. DD texted coach asking if game was still on and if she needed to go take the test. Coach asked how long it would take to take the test, and DD said he usually makes his make up tests harder (true), and there is no time limit due to being after school. Coach said come straight to softball instead of taking test. She said assistant principal approved her decision. While warming up, Coach talked to DD and explained why she did that. She wanted DD to have time to take the test without rushing to get to the fields to play the game (she did start the game as pitcher).

Turns out there is history between softball coaches and this physics teacher. Not sure about the details but it's ridiculous. Teacher is not quiet about his dislike for softball coaches. And apparently refuses to talk to the coaches about this, so the AP is doing all the talking.

Anyway, the Asst Principal came to the fields to talk to DD during warm-ups...wanted to reassure her that everything will be okay and to just focus on the game. AP said they are meeting with the teacher during his conference hours tomorrow and that everything should be resolved by the time she gets to class.

DD is trying hard to relax about it but she is so worried that she has a big X on her back now.

And yes, this is a school sponsored sport.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am a teacher. Let me tell you now, it isn't "his whatever hour." We have prep periods for many reasons and one of them is for makeups. I have kids in my room at all hours. When I get to school tomorrow and open my classroom door, somewhere between 10 and 12 students will come in. That is long before school starts. Today, I had to run students out of my classroom so I could dress for softball practice. It is what I do. Students want to be in my class. That is what teaching is about.

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
I am a teacher. Let me tell you now, it isn't "his whatever hour." We have prep periods for many reasons and one of them is for makeups. I have kids in my room at all hours. When I get to school tomorrow and open my classroom door, somewhere between 10 and 12 students will come in. That is long before school starts. Today, I had to run students out of my classroom so I could dress for softball practice. It is what I do. Students want to be in my class. That is what teaching is about.

Cannonball, thank you!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321