DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Wrong! I didn't say to hit the fastball deep, but you could. I said get the bat on plane deep. If you do time the fastball deep and it's a changeup, you reach your arms and the bat to the ball out front. But if you have good bat speed you can watch the pitch longer so you recognize the changeup. No mid swing adjustment necessary.
With a crack the whip swing, you always hit it out front. Time-wise you need to commit earlier, so there's less time to judge the pitch. So if it's a changeup you have no ability to reach for it because you're already extended.
You say the crack the whip swing is adjustable but you haven't explained what makes it adjustable. You also haven't shown it to have more bat speed than a rotational swing.

So do you have a default timing window or just wing it? Most players time off the fastest pitch and adjust. You would rather be early then late right? Can’t hit anything being late correct? I’m gonna assume that you agree.

So if your timing for the fastest pitch and get a change up and the barrel is on plane early for the fastball, we just extend our arms to the ball? Even though the batspeed has been spent since you lost the barrel to the plane of the pitch and the barrel has been released right?

Jul 29, 2013
My point about the HOF reference was if it doesn’t match those guys it ain’t right. I don’t teach JDs ‘catch it in a turn’. It ain’t a match. My only point the whole time. I don’t know what you coulda thought I meant.

The point was JD ain’t in the HOF sequence. He turns to hit. You missed the point...
HOFers

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I’m just trying to help others understand. It can be confusing, for sure !
When you explain it the way you do, it is definitely confusing. You posted two swings that are identical and say they're different but you don't show how they are different.
I've never had a student tell me what I'm teaching is difficult or confusing. In fact, most comment that I've simplified it and now it makes sense. On top of that, they see immediate results.
So I challenge you to show definitive, frame by frame differences and stop showing clips of hof'ers saying whatever or showing on deck swings.
Then post a clip of your dd's swing for us to analyze being that she should be your number one example.

I mean did you not see Donaldson turn into the ball and Pete release the barrel to the ball ? Petes arms got extended and JDs stayed bent. Alonso’s shoulders stopped rotating. Donaldson kept on turning. Details matter. But in all honesty, they told you what they do. You should be able to see the differences right?

Jul 29, 2013
So do you have a default timing window or just wing it? Most players time off the fastest pitch and adjust. You would rather be early then late right? Can’t hit anything being late correct? I’m gonna assume that you agree.

So if your timing for the fastest pitch and get a change up and the barrel is on plane early for the fastball, we just extend our arms to the ball? Even though the batspeed has been spent since you lost the barrel to the plane of the pitch and the barrel has been released right?
Why would the bat slow down in 15 more inches of travel. When the bat hits the ball, how much does the ball slow in the first 15" of flight? It's not measurable. How did I lose the barrel if I'm on plane?

Jul 29, 2013
I mean did you not see Donaldson turn into the ball and Pete release the barrel to the ball ? Petes arms got extended and JDs stayed bent. Alonso’s shoulders stopped rotating. Donaldson kept on turning. Details matter. But in all honesty, they told you what they do. You should be able to see the differences right?
Post the stills, Frame by frame. SHOW me the difference.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
HOFers

Donnie baseball is one of my favorites. But he isn’t a HOFer. Boggs is a great hitter. But I would only teach a slapper to hit like him. I wouldn’t teach a slapper. Not my lane. Even though the hand paths are the same.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Why would the bat slow down in 15 more inches of travel. When the bat hits the ball, how much does the ball slow in the first 15" of flight? It's not measurable. How did I lose the barrel if I'm on plane?

15” ?? more like 3-4ft. Lol. Your bat is 33-36 inches long. With only about 12 inches to hit with. Whiff my friend.

Your barrel is spent once it’s below your hands, it’s turning upwards. You can’t slow it down. It doesn’t stay in the zone.

Jul 29, 2013
FYI: Using stills is probably the worst way to analyze anything swing related. Just sayin.

The way they both got to contact and the intent they use is from 2 different patterns.

When I say ‘strike’ the ball, I’m speaking of release of the top hand with intent. Not turning the barrel with the body through the ball. Or pushing the hands through to hit everything oppo.

I think there are many ways to get it done. I’m just a fan of the HOF pattern.

Josh explains that he wants to ‘catch the ball in a turn’ a carousel approach. Pete’s intent is much different. He’s trying to stay inside and release the head into the ball via the hands.

See the difference now?

Some call it getting the ‘head out’. Some say ‘throw the head’, ‘release the barrel’, ‘swing like an axe’, ‘whip the barrel’. You get the idea. JD is not trying to do that. Like you said he’s trying to get the back shoulder to the ball. Or something to that extent. Either way not the same.

Stills of Alonso not getting hit shoulder to the ball. LOL!

Screenshot_2019-12-04-22-24-46.pngScreenshot_2019-12-04-22-24-55.pngScreenshot_2019-12-04-22-25-00.pngScreenshot_2019-12-04-22-26-15.png

Jul 29, 2013
15” ?? more like 3-4ft. Lol. Your bat is 33-36 inches long. With only about 12 inches to hit with. Whiff my friend.

Your barrel is spent once it’s below your hands, it’s turning upwards. You can’t slow it down. It doesn’t stay in the zone.
Obviously you don't understand and you probably never will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi