DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Come on @Work=wins you get on a certain somebody for saying his methods are a match and then you say this. This isn't mathematics, you cannot prove that what you are ascribing to is what "HOF'ers do" anymore than that other person can prove that what he teaches is a match to the "HOF'ers" You do a pretty good job of explaining what you teach (a lot better than when you first started on here) so just leave it at that.

As an aside, similar to what JD was saying, Bonds said he felt like his swing was a catch of sorts (I think there is even a drill out there used by him where he actually catches a ball)

I teach it the same way they say it. I understand what they are saying. I’m just trying to help others understand. It can be confusing, for sure !

Don’t group me in with him or anyone. I’m not making money at this. Certain ‘Gurus’ make up stuff like ‘TTB’ for speed? Ever heard a HOF say he does that? And I’ll go a step farther, ever heard a pro say ‘ I get my lead arm up and my back arm down’ ? That guy has fell off the grid. Wonder why? Probably cuz he knows the hands matter. He just doesn’t know how to tell his followers that he F’ed up.

I take nothing outta context and try to learn what the pros and guys that teach pros say they do. I don’t take it for ‘ they don’t know what they do’!! Haha. Thats a cop-out. Especially the HOFs. Those dudes are the best ever. They don’t know what they do???

I have also been down the roads these younger dads have went, you included. Just trying to help you guys steer clear of the pot holes. How many times does a dad come on here and say ‘ my dd doesn’t TTB right’ ‘she’s struggling’!

JD said ‘ in a turn’ big difference Pete. Stop forgetting the context. Very important ! That’s the very thing that has folks confused.

I agree with you. I have gotten better at explaining this stuff. I get a little bit better everyday. Wonder why that is? You can make your own assumption. 😎

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Everybody's hands move in an arc. It may "feel" like straight/ short to the ball but it is not. Even on this low (Pete) and away pitch (which a straighter hand path will occur) if you had the overhead gif of that swing, his hands would arc.

Yes the hands turn. It’s a pendulum. They are swinging the knob. Just like swinging an axe ‘striking’ a tree. 😎

Jun 8, 2016
I teach it the same way they say it. I understand what they are saying. I’m just trying to help others understand. It can be confusing, for sure !

Don’t group me in with him or anyone. I’m not making money at this. Certain ‘Gurus’ make up stuff like ‘TTB’ for speed? Ever heard a HOF say he does that? And I’ll go a step farther, ever heard a pro say ‘ I get my lead arm up and my back arm down’ ? That guy has fell off the grid. Wonder why? Probably cuz he knows the hands matter. He just doesn’t know how to tell his followers that he F’ed up.

I take nothing outta context and try to learn what the pros and guys that teach pros say they do. I don’t take it for ‘ they don’t know what they do’!! Haha. Thats a cop-out. Especially the HOFs. Those dudes are the best ever. They don’t know what they do???

I have also been down the roads these younger dads have went, you included. Just trying to help you guys steer clear of the pot holes. How many times does a dad come on here and say ‘ my dd doesn’t TTB right’ ‘she’s struggling’!

JD said ‘ in a turn’ big difference Pete. Stop forgetting the context. Very important ! That’s the very thing that has folks confused.

I agree with you. I have gotten better at explaining this stuff. I get a little bit better everyday. Wonder why that is? You can make your own assumption. 😎
You are missing the point which is there is no point in adding the HOF part regardless of whether you think you are teaching what every HOF has ever said about hitting :sneaky: ......that is marketing and unnecessary since you are not selling anything like you said. Let your instruction speak for itself. While I appreciate your sentiment, parents have to learn how to build their own filters if they are going to be able to help their kids.

Of course jmho....you are free do what you please of course..I'll get off my soapbox now (I probably got on it the 1st place because of
a frustrating session with Marcela tonight so my loss was your loss...lol!!) ;)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Don't let that semi-compliment get to your head..I said getting better, I didn't say what I thought about the starting point of that improvement :LOL:

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You are missing the point which is there is no point in adding the HOF part regardless of whether you think you are teaching what every HOF has ever said about hitting :sneaky: ......that is marketing and unnecessary since you are not selling anything like you said. Let your instruction speak for itself. While I appreciate your sentiment, parents have to learn how to build their own filters if they are going to be able to help their kids.

Of course jmho....you are free do what you please of course..I'll get off my soapbox now (I probably got on it the 1st place because of

My point about the HOF reference was if it doesn’t match those guys it ain’t right. I don’t teach JDs ‘catch it in a turn’. It ain’t a match. My only point the whole time. I don’t know what you coulda thought I meant.

The point was JD ain’t in the HOF sequence. He turns to hit. You missed the point...

Jul 29, 2013
I think you are seeing things that aren't there. Like staring at a cloud long enough and you swear it looks like Abraham Lincoln. If you freeze frame the Donaldson pick and Pete's pick at the point of contact they are basically identical considering pitch location.

View attachment 15744
View attachment 15745

Are we arguing over intent? It seems like there could be many different ways to skin the cat here. If Pete's intent is to "strike" the ball but it gets him to this spot and JD intent is to "rotate into the ball" and it gets him to this point why is either of them wrong? Seems like both could be right but just a different view point.
I was about to make a post with the same pics but you beat me to it.
One difference, they both do almost exactly the same thing but have very different ideas of how and what they're doing. Plug in Donaldson voice over Pete's swing......

Jul 29, 2013
I know exactly what you mean. You want to hit everything deep in the zone. Back the ball up. You want to wait as long as possible. You think it’s an advantage. You think your seeing the ball longer right?

If hitting a fastball deep is optimal. How do you adjust to a change up when you committed the barrel so soon for the fastball? That’s getting the barrel on plane early. But later in time and early in space. Remember you said the arms/hands aren’t used, it’s about the shoulders correct? Doesn’t sound so good eh?

answer: you cant. Once the barrel gets below the hands there is no more adjusting. It’s ‘go to the ball’ time. YOU want instant go to the ball time. No adjustments can be made. This can work at the lower levels. Not against good pitching though.

Notice the barrel get on plane late? Last 2 frames maybe? Notice the barrel out of plane until then? Notice the hands plane early? This is why pros say they ‘swing down’. Wherever the knob goes the barrel will follow. It’s a pendulum. Don’t give up the pendulum early. It’s not adjustable.

Wrong! I didn't say to hit the fastball deep, but you could. I said get the bat on plane deep. If you do time the fastball deep and it's a changeup, you reach your arms and the bat to the ball out front. But if you have good bat speed you can watch the pitch longer so you recognize the changeup. No mid swing adjustment necessary.
With a crack the whip swing, you always hit it out front. Time-wise you need to commit earlier, so there's less time to judge the pitch. So if it's a changeup you have no ability to reach for it because you're already extended.
You say the crack the whip swing is adjustable but you haven't explained what makes it adjustable. You also haven't shown it to have more bat speed than a rotational swing.

Jul 29, 2013

I’m just trying to help others understand. It can be confusing, for sure !
When you explain it the way you do, it is definitely confusing. You posted two swings that are identical and say they're different but you don't show how they are different.
I've never had a student tell me what I'm teaching is difficult or confusing. In fact, most comment that I've simplified it and now it makes sense. On top of that, they see immediate results.
So I challenge you to show definitive, frame by frame differences and stop showing clips of hof'ers saying whatever or showing on deck swings.
Then post a clip of your dd's swing for us to analyze being that she should be your number one example.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi