DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Something to consider…I agree that the main problem begins at heel drop.

She gives up everything to the front side then.
She is very front side dominate, using the torso and front hip muscles…. to pull the hips/body around the front hip. This makes her come up and skip rear foot forward so much. Also makes the torso dysfunctional for the swing imo.

She looks very hip flexor and adductor dominate…which is two of the issues in someone quad dominate (a heads up as a possible problem since you have been dealing with it so long).

This is just my opinion….but I would have her work a different hip pattern from heel drop and see how she responded…something like the below.

It will probably feel very foreign to her.

1. Make sure she knows “hip extension” using the glutes and lower abdomen.
Have her feel hip extension… where the lower glute-hamstring meet (mostly rear side for her) and lower abdomen. (not goat humping, not hip thrust)…especially on the rear side. Rear knee goes slightly down rather than in (ease up on the adduction).

Hip-Extension-Combo-Small_zpsflvxcri5.gif

2. Make sure she knows “Thoracic-Pelvis Disassociation”…”thoracic rotation” with pelvis still, feeling the obliques. She should be able to feel which ext. oblique is turning the rib cage/shoulders. The front side ext. oblique rotates it to the rear side and it also plays a significant role in resisting thoracic/shoulder rotation while the hips fire. The rear side ext. oblique takes over for rotation of the thorax/shoulders for the swing. This is an important pattern to feel.. imo.

thoracic%20rotation%20demo_zpsyssxawgr.jpg

3. Get her in this torque position, rear arm slotted. Match Romero..she is pretty close.
julray%20dd%20torque_zpsgnyhaz77.jpg

seira%20romero%20side%20torque_zpsipxidnin.jpg

4. Have her concentrate on "rear side" glute dominate “hip extension” …while straightening the front leg/front hip push back.... from this position without a swing. Goal being... hips stabilizing by hip extension.

Head must remain still here….when she gets this….she should feel like she is rotating more around the rear hip.

She will probably “need” to feel…actively pushing the front hip back by straightening the front leg as she does this…. till this becomes automatic. Once she gets it…the front leg/hip will feel more reactive and she should feel like the front side is working a lot less...and rear side working more.

Have her feel this pattern vs what she feels with her current pattern.

5. Do the above like…5 times of each…then SWING from a torque position …similar to Romero below…consider it a static “GO” drill from a torque position. Focus is hip extension and TTB.

seira-romero-side-torque_zpscylqp9o1.gif

Repeat the whole process…1 thru 5.

Romero obviously had a running start with the barrel here… so your DDs barrel will be slower…and she will need to TTB quickly...getting to hip extension just before contact.

6. Once you see a better hip pattern…start working it into a full swing. 5 torque drills or movements mentioned in 1,2 and 3 (whatever she needs to feel). Then a few full swings. Back and forth till she gets it. Do same progression with front toss ect. Just make sure she gets a running start with the barrel going into this position with her full swing.

Getting a better hip pattern and a more rear side pattern for the swing (less front side dominance)….will take care of a lot of these issues and the mishits you have mentioned in previous post and I would suspect more power to develop.

She looks athletic so it shouldn’t take long on a tee swing to learn a new pattern. Game swing will take time.

I would suspect to see a significant change in just a few weeks in at least tee/soft toss drills…not months and most definitely not years.

If she can’t do this or doesn’t show improvements in just a few weeks with a consistent effort….I would consider having her tested for quad dominance/glute amnesia and start correcting that with a good trainer.

Just my opinion...on what I would do without having tested her…hope it helps…Good Luck!

Happy Mothers Day to all the MOMS!
Good lord this is a lot of information!! :). Thank you so much for the detailed comments, but I have to be honest, I'm lost not sure I follow all of this. But is there anyway to summarize without all the medical jargon. My apologies..

EDIT: NM, I think I got it, thanks again

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Have you considered the possibility that she is simply overswinging. You can only swing just so fast/hard before your mechanics start to breakdown. I see this with some of my pitchers, they try to throw so hard they lose form. She loses her balance after the swing,

Sep 17, 2009
With respect, I know you don't want to hear this but maybe it will be helpful. By the definitions that some on this site use she is TOO two-legged. What I mean specifically is that her front leg performs a block which pushes back causing her COM to RISE. She rotates around her FRONT posted leg. What some here mean by one-legged is to let her rear hip be the pivot around which she rotates -- and YES, she should still USE the front leg as balance both while it's in the air AND after it gets planted. But pivoting (ie, opening up) around her rear hip while STILL internally rotated (ie, coiled) would allow her finish her rotation without the over-baked push-back/push-up.

I agree her attack position posted above is pretty good.

Here isn't bad either, though she could work toward being MORE back/more stretched at this spot -- but again, pretty good.

julray1.JPG

Here's where she loses it as the front-leg does TOO much, IMO

Julray2.JPG

Just my opinion, something to look at think about. I'm good if you reject it and certainly don't want to argue words and camps. This is a place where the idea of one-legged has been helpful to me when I see this kind of action in hitters. She's got a lot going right including she looks like she loves it. Good luck.

Sep 17, 2009
With respect, I know you don't want to hear this but maybe it will be helpful. By the definitions that some on this site use she is TOO two-legged. What I mean specifically is that her front leg performs a block which pushes back causing her COM to RISE. She rotates around her FRONT posted leg. What some here mean by one-legged is to let her rear hip be the pivot around which she rotates -- and YES, she should still USE the front leg as balance both while it's in the air AND after it gets planted. But pivoting (ie, opening up) around her rear hip while STILL internally rotated (ie, coiled) would allow her finish her rotation without the over-baked push-back/push-up.

Here isn't bad either, though she could work toward being MORE back/more stretched at this spot -- but again, pretty good.

View attachment 14146

View attachment 14147

Just my opinion, something to look at think about. I'm good if you reject it and certainly don't want to argue words and camps. This is a place where the idea of one-legged has been helpful to me when I see this kind of action in hitters. She's got a lot going right including she looks like she loves it. Good luck.

Or, yeah, what bobbyb said lol

May 12, 2016
Have you considered the possibility that she is simply overswinging. You can only swing just so fast/hard before your mechanics start to breakdown. I see this with some of my pitchers, they try to throw so hard they lose form. She loses her balance after the swing,
I've pretty much considered everything right now.. lol. I haven't discounted this either, you could very well be right

May 12, 2016

View attachment 14146

View attachment 14147

Thanks, I certainly understand how the front leg can cause her body to post up.. I was taught a firm front side at heel plant which is probably when this comes from

May 12, 2016
Listened to what some of you said, here's 3 vids, she's trying, she's a good hard worker but old habits die hard. I believe she is thinking about the backside maybe too much in these vids, and it has compromised FYB and stretch created.. also there maybe some all back, all forward leaking in now, IDK I could be wrong, hence why I am talking to you guys, lol. The front toss video is performed with an over weighted (12.5 oz) heavy rubber softball. I know there are issues, but I am happy with how sudden her bat get's through the zone and continues through heavy ball.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Agree Julray she lost her leveraged fyb position she had on the tee.. it would be nice to see her first swing (initial posted swing) live before commenting. Live will determine weather her fyb sequence is dynamic... I would video her live and make adjustments based on the results.. Spend the majority of the time addressing any issue you see with her up-front actions.. Most sequences break down up-front (pre-swing). The more work you do up-front with posture and stretch will allow for the positive move to be natural and reactive.

May 12, 2016
Agree Julray she lost her leveraged fyb position she had on the tee.. it would be nice to see her first swing (initial posted swing) live before commenting. Live will determine weather her fyb sequence is dynamic... I would video her live and make adjustments based on the results.. Spend the majority of the time addressing any issue you see with her up-front actions.. Most sequences break down up-front (pre-swing). The more work you do up-front with posture and stretch will allow for the positive move to be natural and reactive.
Thanks TDS.. appreciate the comments and suggestions. I tool a closer look at the new Tee swings.. and was wondering if you consider this position FYB

We will work hard with upfront.... just not sure if the cues will have much impact without a drill to reinforce. A practical approach works better for my DD.. I think maybe this drill will help out with some of the issues she's experiencing now?

She has a game this week, try to get a live shot then.

I know the front toss shot was bad quality, I was the one front tossing. Thoughts on that swing?

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Thanks TDS.. appreciate the comments and suggestions. I tool a closer look at the new Tee swings.. and was wondering if you consider this position FYB
View attachment 14155

We will work hard with upfront.... just not sure if the cues will have much impact without a drill to reinforce. A practical approach works better for my DD.. I think maybe this drill will help out with some of the issues she's experiencing now?

She has a game this week, try to get a live shot then.

I know the front toss shot was bad quality, I was the one front tossing. Thoughts on that swing?

fyb, for me is the front side provides leverage for the obliques to contract. Her new swing looks forced and not natural, which is expected since this is a new movement attempt..

But like I said earlier lets see some front toss before digging in.