DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Bit cramped, so bad video, can't see the tee because if angle. Sorry for the music, lol.

Video really shows some glaring issues, before I say anything I'll let you guys comment, thanks everybody.

One thing I do like is how she get's to the position... what comes after concerns me and it's been the same thing year after year.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Very powerful swing! She loses tension in her legs at contact. Notice how her head comes up a good bit at contact. Need to maintain that chest over posture throughout the swing. Also looks like she hits “at the ball” instead of “through the ball” which results in a little bit of alligator arms at extension. All easy fixes with verbal ques

May 12, 2016
Very powerful swing! She loses tension in her legs at contact. Notice how her head comes up a good bit at contact. Need to maintain that chest over posture throughout the swing. Also looks like she hits “at the ball” instead of “through the ball” which results in a little bit of alligator arms at extension. All easy fixes with verbal ques
Thanks Cornbread, I agree with the legs.... I think she gets in a good position, builds some stretch and then releases it. She has been coming out of her swing like this for the past 2 years, heads comes up, back foot skips forward too much and prematurely(IMO). I also agree with hitting to and not through.. These seem like easy fixes and I have tried everything, but these issues are stubborn, not sure what to do. I will mention keeping chest over posture. Thanks again for your comments.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Julray, she gets in a good fyb hitting position on the tee.. Do you have any live or front toss clips ?

May 12, 2016
Julray, she gets in a good fyb hitting position on the tee.. Do you have any live or front toss clips ?
Nah I don't unfortunately. I agree with I think she gets in a good FYB as well. I more concerned about what happens after.... and not sure how to correct it. There's power there in her.. but I think she doesn't leverage it properly, lots of power leaks, comes out of her swing etc

Jun 8, 2016
Agree about her needing to stay in her legs and keeping posture over the ball. I would give her a heavy dose of outside pitch work both off the tee and in front toss and concentrate on hitting liners over 2B head and see how that works out.

May 12, 2016
Agree about her needing to stay in her legs and keeping posture over the ball. I would give her a heavy dose of outside pitch work both off the tee and in front toss and concentrate on hitting liners over 2B head and see how that works out.
Thanks patter,I agree as well! I know why you are saying outside tee work and I bet you wouldn’t be less bit surprised to know outside pitches she stays in her legs better, and hits the ball hard

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Something to consider…I agree that the main problem begins at heel drop.

She gives up everything to the front side then.
She is very front side dominate, using the torso and front hip muscles…. to pull the hips/body around the front hip. This makes her come up and skip rear foot forward so much. Also makes the torso dysfunctional for the swing imo.

She looks very hip flexor and adductor dominate…which is two of the issues in someone quad dominate (a heads up as a possible problem since you have been dealing with it so long).

This is just my opinion….but I would have her work a different hip pattern from heel drop and see how she responded…something like the below.

It will probably feel very foreign to her.

1. Make sure she knows “hip extension” using the glutes and lower abdomen.
Have her feel hip extension… where the lower glute-hamstring meet (mostly rear side for her) and lower abdomen. (not goat humping, not hip thrust)…especially on the rear side. Rear knee goes slightly down rather than in (ease up on the adduction).

Hip-Extension-Combo-Small_zpsflvxcri5.gif

2. Make sure she knows “Thoracic-Pelvis Disassociation”…”thoracic rotation” with pelvis still, feeling the obliques. She should be able to feel which ext. oblique is turning the rib cage/shoulders. The front side ext. oblique rotates it to the rear side and it also plays a significant role in resisting thoracic/shoulder rotation while the hips fire. The rear side ext. oblique takes over for rotation of the thorax/shoulders for the swing. This is an important pattern to feel.. imo.

thoracic%20rotation%20demo_zpsyssxawgr.jpg

3. Get her in this torque position, rear arm slotted. Match Romero..she is pretty close.
julray%20dd%20torque_zpsgnyhaz77.jpg

seira%20romero%20side%20torque_zpsipxidnin.jpg

4. Have her concentrate on "rear side" glute dominate “hip extension” …while straightening the front leg/front hip push back.... from this position without a swing. Goal being... hips stabilizing by hip extension.

Head must remain still here….when she gets this….she should feel like she is rotating more around the rear hip.

She will probably “need” to feel…actively pushing the front hip back by straightening the front leg as she does this…. till this becomes automatic. Once she gets it…the front leg/hip will feel more reactive and she should feel like the front side is working a lot less...and rear side working more.

Have her feel this pattern vs what she feels with her current pattern.

5. Do the above like…5 times of each…then SWING from a torque position …similar to Romero below…consider it a static “GO” drill from a torque position. Focus is hip extension and TTB.

seira-romero-side-torque_zpscylqp9o1.gif

Repeat the whole process…1 thru 5.

Romero obviously had a running start with the barrel here… so your DDs barrel will be slower…and she will need to TTB quickly...getting to hip extension just before contact.

6. Once you see a better hip pattern…start working it into a full swing. 5 torque drills or movements mentioned in 1,2 and 3 (whatever she needs to feel). Then a few full swings. Back and forth till she gets it. Do same progression with front toss ect. Just make sure she gets a running start with the barrel going into this position with her full swing.

Getting a better hip pattern and a more rear side pattern for the swing (less front side dominance)….will take care of a lot of these issues and the mishits you have mentioned in previous post and I would suspect more power to develop.

She looks athletic so it shouldn’t take long on a tee swing to learn a new pattern. Game swing will take time.

I would suspect to see a significant change in just a few weeks in at least tee/soft toss drills…not months and most definitely not years.

If she can’t do this or doesn’t show improvements in just a few weeks with a consistent effort….I would consider having her tested for quad dominance/glute amnesia and start correcting that with a good trainer.

Just my opinion...on what I would do without having tested her…hope it helps…Good Luck!

Happy Mothers Day to all the MOMS!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12