DD slower in game situations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2010
I tried a search but couldn't comeup with a search that gavewhat I'm looking for. DD is 11 and has been pitching/taking lessons for 3 years. Pitching in a game she is throwing 44 +/-. Practicing with me she throws noticeably harder, 48-50. I expect she is tightening up and loosing speed. We've talked about it and she says she driving hard.

Does anyone have suggestions on something we can work on take advantage of her speed She is not getting? This weekend at a tournament she got hammered by opposing batters and was down on herself. No defense behind her didn't her feelings either. She walked 0 batters and only threw 2 wild pitches in that game.

Apr 13, 2013
11 YO DD is a throw strikes pitcher and cannot afford to walk to many players. There is a good chance the batters she doesn’t walk are going to hit the ball hard, it is not fair to blame the defense when the batters are teeing off on her.

If your DD is not walking anyone she might be throwing too many strikes.

How many batters is she striking out?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
KBush, this is quite a common problem. Sometimes, it helps to have a catcher work with her as much as possible. My students rely on me too much and then, they have no confidence in their team member. It is like slowing down your over hand throw, because the first baseman may not catch it.

Oct 22, 2009
This problem comes up a lot with my pitchers. Pretty sure it's the "Just throw strikes" mentality that causes them to tighten up and just put it over the plate.

I always use the reward system with my pitchers. I let the parents decide the type of reward they see fit and one time in the game when they see fit, they have to -let it loose-! I also include it as a personal goal for their session with me. After they accomplish the one pitch, they progress to doing it twice, then 3 times, then once every batter until they're doing it most of the game. It just takes the pressure off them to see it as a goal.
I have to do the same thing with change-ups when they don't want to throw change-ups in the games.

Oct 22, 2009
KBush, this is quite a common problem. Sometimes, it helps to have a catcher work with her as much as possible. My students rely on me too much and then, they have no confidence in their team member. It is like slowing down your over hand throw, because the first baseman may not catch it.

Amy we have a joke we say a lot at class, about getting a cardboard cut out of me with a tape recorder in the mouth of me yelling at them and placing it near the mound in games. :p

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If anyone besides her catcher is yelling ANYTHING to her while she is in the circle, tell them to shut the heck up and let her focus on her pitching.

She needs to block out all the other voices. THEY ARE NOT HELPING HER.

Oct 22, 2010
Don't have numbers from this past weekend, but previous weekend was 11K and 10 walks over 15 innings (3 games). This weekend in second game she had 0 walks because they were lighting her up. She can work pitches inside/outside fairly reliably. Throws change up and a drop in addition to FB. I know the extra 4-5 mph won't make a difference to some batters, but I know she can throw harder.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Don't have numbers from this past weekend, but previous weekend was 11K and 10 walks over 15 innings (3 games). This weekend in second game she had 0 walks because they were lighting her up. She can work pitches inside/outside fairly reliably. Throws change up and a drop in addition to FB. I know the extra 4-5 mph won't make a difference to some batters, but I know she can throw harder.

If everyone is 'Hammering her', then they have her timimg down pat. THAT you have to fix or every team will hammer her. Lots of ways to do that.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
This is an extremely common problem, and often it just takes waiting and letting her gain confidence. In the meantime, simulate games in practice as much as possible. Have her throw to a team catcher, as Amy suggested, and also have a batter stand in. If she struggles you can start with an inanimate object in the batter's box and progress to a volunteer. Simulate innings, calling balls and strikes, but have her emphasize speed.

May 10, 2010
It is hard when success for young pitchers is defined by a number. Strikeouts, walks, speed, wins, losses, innings pitched is what I am talking about. If she goes full speed and walks batters then in a young pitchers mind that is a failure. So many pitch not to fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321