DD playing in 1st 09' tournament this Saturday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 2, 2008
It's about the money!!!

If you don't think this was a tournament director trying to make sure he/she got your $$$$ - you're crazy. Cancelled tournament = lost money. They don't care about your kids. Of course, they will tell you that they want to make sure your child can finish the tournament.

Would've packed my team up and went home. Not worth the risk of injury to a child, or worse, something bad happening to a whole family driving home in the middle of the night! Some people have their priorities mixed up.

FWIW

Feb 16, 2009
This happens all the the time in the Midwest when signed up for indoor tournaments. Generally teams sign up for these sparingly because they are such a drain. Please note that these games are usually timed at an hour. Everyone usually knows the schedule going into these. Look - it's April 3 and supposed to snow this weekend here in Chicago again so a lot of us have no choice with getting some practice games in:eek:.

Dec 19, 2008
This happens all the the time in the Midwest when signed up for indoor tournaments. Generally teams sign up for these sparingly because they are such a drain. Please note that these games are usually timed at an hour. Everyone usually knows the schedule going into these. Look - it's April 3 and supposed to snow this weekend here in Chicago again so a lot of us have no choice with getting some practice games in:eek:.

That's what is happening here. So many tournaments cancelled due to weather recently. Usually doesn't happen. We were schedulled to play somewhere else. and they cancelled due to lack of teams. They called us on the deadline day that everyone uses (Monday before tournament). So, we scrambled (as well as the other teams who got cancelled) to get in this one, with 3 hours to entry deadline. this was Monday. They posted the brackets yesterday afternoon. Suppposed to be bad weather coming in on Sunday.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
If you don't think this was a tournament director trying to make sure he/she got your $$$$ - you're crazy. Cancelled tournament = lost money. They don't care about your kids. Of course, they will tell you that they want to make sure your child can finish the tournament.

Would've packed my team up and went home. Not worth the risk of injury to a child, or worse, something bad happening to a whole family driving home in the middle of the night! Some people have their priorities mixed up.

FWIW

You got it Skilz! That is a TD capitalizing on another tournament cancelling, and then overbooking his. Zero concern for the kids or parents.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
It's not unusual for one day tournaments in travel ball to run behind schedule for various reasons. It happens. Many times the championship game is very late in the evening. If you fall to the losers bracket early, you will easily play 4 to 5 games fighting your way back to the championship game.

The kids and parents seem to really like the one day tournaments. The kids also have no problem playing 4 or 5 games in a day. Playing that many games in one day is not what burns kids out. What burns kids out is playing 4 or 5 games on Saturday, and then having a practice on Sunday. Or, practicing too many days during the week or too many hours during the week, especially during the school year...Or, playing 130 games per year.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
1:00 am start time?

I can see a tournament running late, but a 1:00 am start time?

Izzysdad, how did it all wind up? How did your DD's team do in those circumstances?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
A 1:00am start time is nuts. Unless of course the coaches meet with the players and parents and everyone agrees. Sometimes doing crazy stuff can be fun if everyone is on the same page. Some of the fondess memories can come from doing nutty things.

If it's a school night it's a completely different story. In our house school comes first as I don't see my DD being good enough to make a living playing softball. I have a much lower tolerance for coaches who keep young kids out late on school nights.