DD pitches in opener today

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
After taking pitching lessons over the winter, opening day has finally arrived and my dd got some time on the mound. I really hate watching her pitch. I think I need to move to behind the outfield fence and lay in the grass.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I always loved to watch my kids pitch. It would have been awful to feel the way you describe. Anyway, I think that you need to force yourself to just sit there and clap. Your DD will thank you for it.

How did she do? How did you do?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
She did fine. Couple of K's but got into trouble. That's when I wish I was outside the outfield fence. Having coached her for several years I noticed she looks over to me for indications of what's wrong. Probably a result of me catching for her over the past year. I figure if I'm not there to look at she will just work through it. My plan for next time.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I usually love to watch mine pitch. But today she had to come in the 4th inning because our other pitcher got hammered. We were down by 2 and finally tied it up in the 6th. We went 12 innings , International rules , and I was a nervous wreck. 3 hours and 10 mins later we finally won.

I know it's hard, but if your DD is like mine, she looks for dad. And she will never admit it but she needs to see your face and reactions. ( and be careful with those facial reactions )

When I pitched there were sometimes 100-150 fans ( bigger games ) with all the yelling and screaming I could always hear my fathers voice over all of them. ( not that he was any louder but his voice was soothing and yelling encouragement ) It's a weird feeling and hard to explain if you've never spent alot of time on the mound.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2009
My 12yr old DD pitches better when she can't see me. She knows me too well and reads my body language. If I look nervous she gets nervous. It's become the joke of the team that when she's pitching they send me to the outfield fence.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
So maybe I become the joke of the team and watch from the outfield fence. Hey if she'll pitch better I'll lay down in the grass and watch with binos.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
True story: Two days before the regional tournament in college, my brother-in-law died. The wake was Saturday. The funeral was Sunday. There was no way my wife and I could attend the regional. They aren't going to reschedule the regional. The outcome of the regional determines the bonus the coach will get.

The moral: you cannot and will not be present for every "big game" your DD plays in. She has to learn to do this on her own without you.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
True story: Two days before the regional tournament in college, my brother-in-law died. The wake was Saturday. The funeral was Sunday. There was no way my wife and I could attend the regional. They aren't going to reschedule the regional. The outcome of the regional determines the bonus the coach will get.

The moral: you cannot and will not be present for every "big game" your DD plays in. She has to learn to do this on her own without you.

Mr. Ray, I think you misunderstood my post. Or maybe it was not worded correctly by myself. I was trying to express to this father not to run and hide when his DD is pitching. If he shows he is nervous, more than likely it will rub off on her. He doesn't have to sit right behind home plate, just sit in his normal spot when she's not pitching. Kids aren't stupid, if as soon as she steps on the rubber he runs, she'll start to pick up on that.

I try to make every game I can. I'm not a parent who drops their kid off at practice or weekend tourneys so I can go do my own thing. ( but I love ball , and I try to understand that some don't ) We are different than most families, we are very close. While some families go to the movies or shopping on the weekend, we are going to watch sports. Our free time consists of watching my DD or nephews play football, soccer, baseball, basketball, softball, etc. It's a great way to spend family time and we all love it. ( who wouldn't )

My DD doesn't fall apart when I can't make a game, but she does give me that 'smile' when I do. Didn't yours??

True Story : My DD has been asked and picked up to play in two World Series half way across the country. Because of my profession, I couldn't get off. So I sent her with another family, and believe it or not, the World Series was not cancelled because I couldn't make it.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Here is a picture of her on the mound. Constructive form critique welcome.
JackiePitch.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12