DD Pitch video--feedback?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/tools/twidgets/ticker.swf?feed=dunhamorama.pitchclips" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="100" width="440">

This is my first try at uploading a link to a video. Hope it works.

13 yo, 5'5", cruises well around 52-53, a couple of good movement pitches

I see a few things in this clip of my DD, like that her arm is maybe too straight going down the back, and she seems to cut her forward step off short of full extension. Id like to help her squeeze out a few more mph as we work through fall ball. Any suggestions?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, I am thinking that the back swing that she uses is way too high. In fact, I rarely see it that high. I am concerned that like my own DD that came up high over her head prior to the pitch, that your DD is working the shoulder twice, during her pitch. My DD's shoulder didn't last long.

Then, the forward stride is good until she gets to toe touch, when she drops the front foot way too soon and she has to push the ball from there.

So, basically I am saying that her timing is off.

She is pretty good though, but I think she is capable of a lot more power.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
d845dcbbfa0248628e93954e4c60ed9e.jpg

b9c1bc1943e04ac9bf4d746224d7a7a9.jpg

To a large extent, underhand pitching is simply upside down overhand throwing.

When you throw overhand for distance, at the beginning of the throw you take your right hand back and drop your right shoulder. Prior to release, your right shoulder moves up. So, the right shoulder goes from down to up.

In underhand pitching, the shoulder goes from up to down. At 12 o'clock, the right shoulder is up as the pitcher "reaches for the sky", and then moves down prior to release. If you want to get all technical about it, the pitcher is increasing the length of the whip by five to six inches by raising and lowering the shoulder.

Look at the shoulder angle of Finch and Osterman. Finch drops her shoulder by an amazing amount.

Take a look at your DD's shoulder motion. Luckily, the tree covered hill in the background provide a great reference to judge your DD's shoulder motion. Notice that she doesn't have any up-down shoulder motion. Her shoulder travels parallel to the ground for her entire pitch. So, she can easily pick up a few MPHs by getting the shoulder motion correct.

Her failure to lower her right shoulder is causing her head to be leaning left during the throw.

The way to teach this is first to have her get open and raise the ball to twelve o'clock. Tell her to reach for the sky and extend her arm and raise her shoulder. You get behind her and place your hand on her right shoulder. Have her throw, and you push down on her right shoulder. Do this a few times so that she can feel the shoulder drop down during the pitch.

She also needs to work on the "bump". You put your hand on the outside of her left hip. She slides her hip to the right and "bumps" your hand with hip. The idea is for her body to be the string on a bow, so she is going to slide her hips to the right and then "release" her hips forward.

IMHO, if she gets this stuff down, she will add 5 to 6 mph to her speed.

Jul 14, 2008
It's pretty good at the point it's important........The rest is fluff and working slightly against velocity. Quickness is imparative.....Length is a plus.......But NOT a teach.......

If this was my student here are the changes I would make/try:

Shorten the back swing.......Think "bounce the arm off the coil spring" at the bottom. That should keep the backswing inside 9:00........

Get rid of the extreme wrist extension during the rocker motion and full circle.....

Work on driving toward the plate NOT toward the sky.....She's obviously been taught "drive high"......This is causing energy to be sent "upward" not "forward".......When the inertia dies.....she comes straight down which is why you see her "cutting off the drive" early.......

Our brains use symmetry for coordination. Work on symmetry for quickness........Get that glove arm working down to the symmetrical release point at the front side..........instead of floating it around away from the body........Both arms moving down to the bottom create a symmetrical sync.....and act as a counter balance when we add a quicker move......

See these for an example of symmetry:

The Big Three.....

Speaking of symmetry........Here's what I tell my pitchers in terms of "quickness" symmetry.......

YOU GET OUT WHAT YOU PUT IN..........

In otherwords.......IF YOUR LONG AND SLOW GOING BACK......YOUR LONG AND SLOW COMING THROUGH........Because that's what you "set up".......

Set up a quicker move to start, and you set up a quicker move for the duration of the pitch.........

Hope this helps...........Good luck!

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
sluggers I am having a hard time visualizing this drill, do you have a version for dummies, like me.

She also needs to work on the "bump". You put your hand on the outside of her left hip. She slides her hip to the right and "bumps" your hand with hip. The idea is for her body to be the string on a bow, so she is going to slide her hips to the right and then "release" her hips forward.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish