DD Not Hitting The Pitched Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
2 seasons (10U) ago my daughter was hitting the ball very well. When that season was over we decided to step up out of rec ball and get into travel (first year of 12U). Her hitting went from consistent to "hit and miss" against pitching that was similar in speed to what she saw in rec ball. We're getting into games for 2010 and her hitting is the same. MIA She does a hitting lesson twice a month and does great there and against machines. Seeing the results in action during her lessons has me feeling it's just a matter of time until she gets it back. On the other hand I wonder if I'm fooling myself and the reality is she just doesn't have the skill for hitting live pitching anymore.

Anyone ever go through this? Is there anything we can do to bring her hitting back?

Thanks

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Big diff from rec to travel. Speed has nothing to do with it. She going to see breaking balls now.

My best advice is to ask one of the pitchers off her travel team to pitch to her. ( one on one ) It will work the pitcher and your DD.

She also may just be in a batting slump. And that happens to the best. I will give you a trick that may or may not help. We got in a nasty batting slump back a few years ago. I worked mine to death and still no results. Then I bought a new high dollar bat. I can never prove this but I think it helped her mentally. The excitement of the new bat sure did pull her out of the slump.

Be positive for her. Even the smallest of improvement will add up over time.

Good luck.

Jan 25, 2010
my girls always have timing issues when going from a machine to a live pitcher, so we rarely use the machine. we'll use the tee or a hit stick to work out form/mechanics issues.

i also think that some girls simply freeze up during games and are afraid of striking out. i think it almost doesn't matter what you say, it's just a fear they need to get over. with that said, tho, some girls just have it and some don't, which i think you all ready are eluding to. in 8u, i had to bribe my daughter with $$$ to swing at good pitches. basically, if she swung at a hittable ball, she got a quarter. luckily we usually only got in 4 innings! now in her second year of 10u, she swings away. not necessarily the best hitter on the team, but she is good for a base hit or two almost every game.

May 12, 2008
If we could see a video of a game swing we could check for mechanical problems and either point to or eliminate them. That's where I would start.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I want to stress, as long as she is struggling, do not use a pitching machine. I have been there, done that. Pitch to her from the front, the best way that you can.

Good luck. I bet that she comes around.

Oct 25, 2009
Like Mark and JC said above, without seeing her swing it's all speculation.

I have found that one very common problem at that age level is not being at toe-touch BEFORE the pitched ball gets in the hitting zone. Once they come to toe-touch all that is left to do is swing.

Sometimes I will put a kid in that position (or even with the hips already rotated with the hands still at launch) as a means of troubleshooting the swing.

Experiment, but don't create a flaw to overcome a flaw.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Mark is correct as video could help identify a mechanical flaw however is there a flaw or is it rhythm and timing? Take her to a cage unless you have a cage and a machine. IF you have a machine whoever is feeding the machine could be the problem or part of it. Start by having her look into a mirror as if the pitcher is in the mirror in front of her and show her the K position and ask her to load. Is she leaning backwards and tilting her her towards the catcher? Pitcher? Correct that if it is a problem. Now when she strides to toe touch point out this happens at the pitchers window of release or even after the pitcher throws the ball based on your daughters athletic ability. At toe touch is her lead foot flat? Is the front leg stiff? Is she on the inside of her lead foot so the baby toe is off the ground? Is the heel towards the pitcher? Is the foot at a slight angle of 45 degrees or is the toe of the foot more pointed towards the pitcher? As to the person feeding the balls IF someone is, have them hold a ball in their left hand at the feeder tube and in the right hand do an arm circle and at the K she loads and then feed the ball and explain when she sees the ball in the tires/ wheels to stride. Even with front toss I see tossers throw off the hitters timing and as we explain once the pitcher starts they do not stop so we have to learn how to dance with the pitcher. Look at these check points above and just observe before you try to change anything.

Thanks Howard

Jan 28, 2010
Hitting Video

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I'll get a video up this week. She just got her eyes checked and her prescription is up to date. If it was her vision wouldn't the problem show up against the machines? She hits off them really well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32