DD no longer #1 player, and Mom is not happy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2009
She's 8 and she was voted to the 10u All-Star team, where some players have already turned 11.

I almost passed out laughing when I got to that part.

Your wife needs to relax, if she continues on as true as the picture you have painted your daughter will never have a chance to play on a decent team. No good team wants parents like her around, at least I dont. Shes got alot of softball left, dont ruin it for her now.

I also laughed when I got to that part. (in red above)

Listen to what Mike said. I've seen this happen a lot over the years.
Just tell Mom to enjoy the moment and just feel proud that DD was good enough to make this team as an 8 yr old.

Remember, the kids are the ones who suffer when Parents yell out and become trouble makers.

Feb 3, 2011
I'm all about the moment, I know what you mean. DD is having a wonderful time and learning a lot from these coaches. It will likely be a few years before she has another head coach as knowledgeable as this one. I'm soaking in a lot from outside the fence that will certainly benefit my fall rec team.

Mar 15, 2010
1996 - 97 Kobe Bryant min per game 15.5. Same situation as your DD, playing with others at least 3+ years older. His play earned him the #1 spot. She will have to earn it too.

Feb 3, 2011
1996 - 97 Kobe Bryant min per game 15.5. Same situation as your DD, playing with others at least 3+ years older. His play earned him the #1 spot. She will have to earn it too.
I don't let DD read forums, but I bet she'd love this! :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

This is a great example. Because early in his career Kobe had the maturity level of an 8 year old.

Mar 13, 2010
Honestly MomosDad from everything you've posted MomosMum isn't close to being one of 'those parents' she IS one of 'those parents'.

It really needs to be stopped now. She's already been noticed for abusing teenagers. If she's going on about how it's a shame that Momo isn't playing because of how good she is, and how much better she is, it will be sealed for Momo. If you want your daughter to play TB be prepared to start your own team because she won't get on any others.

I also think next year MomosMom better not be the team mom again. She clearly doesn't realise their are other children besides your DD.

Feb 3, 2011
Honestly MomosDad from everything you've posted MomosMum isn't close to being one of 'those parents' she IS one of 'those parents'.

It really needs to be stopped now. She's already been noticed for abusing teenagers. If she's going on about how it's a shame that Momo isn't playing because of how good she is, and how much better she is, it will be sealed for Momo. If you want your daughter to play TB be prepared to start your own team because she won't get on any others.

I also think next year MomosMom better not be the team mom again. She clearly doesn't realise their are other children besides your DD.
She won't be Team Mom this fall because of her church obligations and I am very proud of her for telling me yesterday that she doesn't feel we should work together anymore....which actually saved me from having to tell her I'd already secured the services of another Team Mom for next spring. :)

This fall, DD will be our best player, but then Mom's problem will be that our team is so young, as I've agreed to take on a group of mainly incoming 10u players. I'm not concerned about wins and losses, only about teaching a group of young girls about how the 10u game is played and how to compete at that level. The coaches working with me will be in charge of helping the girls to continue developing their basic softball skills.

It's hard for Mom to broaden her perspective and she gets mad at me, arguing I'm selling DD short. Yes, our daughter is the best 8yo player in our town and one of the best in the area. I get that. But in all-stars, she's competing against the best 9yo and 10yo (and many 11yo) players.

She wants to make position-by-position comparisons with other players and I've done my best to teach her how competitive softball works with regards to getting the biggest bats into the lineup wherever possible. She wants to know why ____ is starting over Mojo and I'm like "she was the MVP of our team and we had the 2nd-best team in the league - of course she's a starter!"

Mojo is such an awesome team player, though. She understands her role on this team and knows that she'll have to work that much harder in practice to take someone else's job. And when she does get her chances in games, she's got to hustle and make plays, which she did very well over the weekend.

In the future, I do not see myself coaching beyond 10u, but you are right in saying it could be hard to find the right team for our kid in the future. I'm just hoping that Mom will sit back, study a little, and allow herself to learn about the game instead of focusing only on the entitlements that often come with being the parent of a star player.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06