DD hurt this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2012
We ended up playing a tournament indoors this weekend. Why I have no idea. The fields were perfect fine and the weather was awesome.

The team was warming up before the second game and my DD and a couple of other girls were taking grounders for infield. They do this just behind the bases and are really close to the coach. Well, coach hits a rocket to DD, takes one bounce and smacks her square in the nose. The girls are at best 15' from the coach. She drops immediately and of course the blood is flowing. We get her off the field, shove gauze up her nose and apply ice. We wait about 30 minutes to try to gauge how bad it is. I take another look and I know it's broke. We decide to take her to the hospital and tell the coach we are leaving. "Ok, let me know how she is." An hour later xrays show it is broke but luckily nothing else is broken or fractured. About 3:00 we are leaving the hospital and we get check on the team and they are eliminated so we head for home.

All the way home and all night we get text after text from parents and players checking on her. We never received a text or a call from the coach. At 8:00 am the next morning I get a text from the coach "I never heard from you last night but I've talked with some of the other parents and I hear that she broke her nose. I hope she is feeling a little better today." If you can talk to other parents why couldn't you check up on your own player? I was a little ticked at the coach for hitting the ball so hard when they are that close but I also understand that sometimes you hit one harder than you intended so I can get past that. What irritates me more is that she never checked on her that day. I have been an HC and an AC before and have always checked on girls that were hurt no matter what happened. DD is upset because the coach never even said "I'm sorry." She knows it wasn't on purpose but "she could've at least said I'm sorry." That will be between her and her coach. DD is 14 by the way.

End of venting.

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net...0_10203032256278667_7803138043834693569_n.jpg

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would give the coach a second chance. Perhaps, he was afraid he would be liable and he knew not to make any statements. He may of thought "I don't want to bother them." Who knows? I guess there is no script for this.

Tell your DD that he was checking on her, from what others knew.

By the way, best of luck to her. That looks like a bad break. I hope that she does well and doesn't have any further problems.

Feb 16, 2012
We use our own balls for warm ups so I'm not sure what they had brought with them. The coach is a young coach and this is her first time being the HC. I think she is struggling with being in authority with parents that are 15-20 years older than her. The only thing the coach said to her before we left was "way to be tough." That would've been fine later but she needed to hear I'm sorry first. It wasn't deliberate so would never go after the coach or the organization for this plus there is an associated risk with being on the field and we accept that.

She is at the doctor now for an evaluation from her doctor to see how we need to proceed. I hope no surgery is needed but she will probably need it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Sorry, I should have said "she," when referring to the coach. I guess you could start a text dialog with her or phone her today, to give her an update. Perhaps she feels like she made a mistake and is reluctant to say so.

Feb 16, 2012
Unfortunately no. The organization pushes for girls at the 14u level to not wear them in preparation for 16's and exposure tournaments. The leaders say they have been told by several coaches that the masks are negatives unless there is an injury. This has been debated multiple times on her and I don't want to do that again here. She will wear one from now on.

She kept saying that the doctor needed to hurry up because she needed to get back to the team and get on the field. I had to tell her several times she was done playing for at least a week. she finally said "fine...I need to get back there to cheer on my team." she loves the girls she plays with and is heartbroken she could be out for a while.

Oct 10, 2011
Best of luck to your daughter. She sounds like a though one! BTW our organization is the same way about masks. I don't agree but that is how they are.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The most important factor is the health of the players. Hopefully your daughter will have a quick recovery. As Amy stated, perhaps the coach wasn't sure what to do, but I would have felt terrible if I was the one hitting the ball.

Hope your DD feels better soon and gets back out with her teammates. It must be killing her to not play.

The coach could have been feeling really bad, too. I know it hurts me far more than it hurts them when one of my girls gets injured. I do everything in my power to not let it show and encourage them to be tough but when I get home it usually hits me pretty hard. I hate it so much.

Most of my current team no longer use masks. They are keenly aware that coaches in older age groups and at higher levels do not want their girls wearing them. BTW, my kids are 11 years old. The only one who wears one in my entire infield is a girl who has a very realistic chance as a fashion model if the softball thing doesn't work out, so it is understandable. :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1