DD hit with ball...when to go on field?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
My DD has torn her right ACL each of the last two years while playing high school basketball. I was on the floor in both instances within seconds of her hitting the floor. As someone said, a parent "knows" their child.

Am I a medical expert? No, but I can hold her hand while she is going through excruciating pain. BTW, this will be her senior year, and she will soon be released by the docs to play ball again.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I think it's more important for the parent to be there for the younger kids. When my 15 yo was 10, I was chatting with some other parents during pre-game practice when I heard a sound like a kid getting whacked in the chest with a bat. DD had just taken a hard hit one-hopper to the throat. Crowd was silent as coach and other players checked her out. I waited till she was walked over to the bench to sit with her, reassure her and make sure she was ok. All I could think of was my B.I.L telling me about his son getting hurt in a football game and that the last thing the kids want is for their parent to get involved. I was wrong. Fortunately she was ok but since then I've heard horror stories about windpipes closing, etc. We were both very lucky.

Last year a 15 y.o. at 3b caught a line drive to the head. Idiot coach had her playing in when 3B knew batter was not bunting. her parents stayed off the field, checked her out when she came off, but she wanted to go back in and finish the game. She did but missed school the next day. (To this day the kid won't wear face protection).

This year at a Freshman BB game, girl was knocked down and head bounced off the floor. the Coach was inexperienced and didn't do anything, took her awhile to even go out and check her out. Fortunately one of the parents was a Police officer and knew something about 1st aid. He ran out into the parking lot and filled a bag with snow (The coach didn't even have an ice pack). This girls parents stayed off the court and it was just as well as they couldn't have done anything, but if that cop wasn't there.......

Mar 13, 2010
This is a time where coaches are irrelevant. Its the parents perogative. I've seen parents run onto the field immeaditly after their child is hurt and I don't begrudge them that at all. Last year we had one of our juniors playing up and we let her pitch a dig. She took a line drive to the face. Her dad got there a step behind me (I was on first and caught her before she hit the ground) Even if its just a line drive to the leg, its not just the child who needs to be comforted its the parent.

May 31, 2009
I usually will only go on the field to pull her off the girl that hit her. :)

LOL!!
I'm with you.....wouldn't want to see the other girl get hurt real bad!

I don't make a move to go on the field or floor til my wife waves to me. She's usually down there in less than a minute.
-

Dec 15, 2009
We had a girl pitching and a line drive hit right to her. Her dad is a coach and i was talking with him when this happened. It looked like it hit her in the private area. It actually hit her in the hip. Luckily she recovered, threw the girl out at first and her dad went out there. She was fine and continued pitching. After we got the 3rd out she was up to bat first. first pitch hit her in the side. She ran to first and finished the game. I'm really proud of her.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00