DD hit with ball...when to go on field?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
In all the instances ya'll have described I think a parent should have gone out on the field. But we had a parent on our 8U rec team this year that was such a drama queen and if her daughter fell and skinned her knee should would rush the field. Her husband would calmly tell her just to wait and see if she was going to be okay, she would then take into cussing him saying "that's my baby". So when we had our first meeting about starting a fall ball team I made sure to let the parents aware that more than likely their child would be hit by a wild pitch at some point and that yes it would sting for a min but over-reacting would only make them afraid of the ball in the future. We'll see how she does this time around.

LOL! Speak the truth, chapelhillbilly!!! DDs high school team has a short stop who throws like a man - I mean the kid could probably play CF and make it to home plate, no problem. We have the game face and have recently purchased (thanks to Amy from AZ) leg guards - DD plays 1st on this team. Coaches here are great at checking on them and we now have a parent who is an FNP and another who is a nurse, so if anything catastrophic happens, at least there will be folks there who have medical knowledge. I did notice we gained a player last week who is, no joke, smaller than my 8 year old. Her mother's friend laughed and said that her dd has players on the team who are twice her size - yeah, 5 years older, too! My DD makes that little girl look like an ant. Fortunately for us, the girl can play some ball! :)

Mar 22, 2010
I agree screwball. But then again I'm one of those parents who tells them to rub some dirt on it and get back out there. Knock on wood mine have never had a serious injury so I've never felt the need to go out on the field. My oldest was hit in the eye by a thrown ball (if it had been a hit ball I might have been more concerned) during practice and I waited to see if she was going to be okay and I did meet her in the dugout when they pulled her off the field. She put some ice on it for about 5 min and then she went back out and started back playing. But yes screwball I do think that parents rush the field over a girl faster than they would a boy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00