DD as a coach!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD is 16 and just starting her junior year in high school. Her school has just created a junior high softball team and just played their first ever game earlier this week. The program was unable to find a head coach, so the varsity coach is leading the program with the help of a few volunteers. DD is one of those volunteers. She is a very smart young lady and loves this sport, so I was not surprised when she told me about this. But watching her work with the players before and during their first game was enlightening to me. In my opinion, she did an excellent job working with them and explaining areas of potential improvement (in a positive manner). I was especially impressed with how the players intently listened to and followed her advice and instructions. She really seems to have their attention.

Last night she was sitting at the kitchen table with a white board listing a bunch of different activities. The varsity coach is unavailable to attend practice today, so DD is running it herself. She spent nearly 90 minutes devising a plan for the practice hitting all major areas that she felt were areas of potential improvement based on Wednesday's game. She even asked me to attend practice today to work on hitting with a few of them.

I am seeing a completely different side of my DD and it has made me extremely proud. Even more proud than I was already.

Jun 11, 2013
That's great she is doing it. I remember last year we had a couple of our 14U's go over and help the 8's in our organization work on throw downs. They listened to the coaches but when these girls spoke the kids just lit up.

Jul 5, 2016
That's great she is doing it. I remember last year we had a couple of our 14U's go over and help the 8's in our organization work on throw downs. They listened to the coaches but when these girls spoke the kids just lit up.

Isn't that something. I can remember one of our rec players - probably a 4th or 5th grader - wanting our high school pitcher's autograph.

Nov 18, 2013
Kudos to your DD! For those jr high kids it’s a HUGE deal to get to work with a real live HS player. She’ll be a superstar in their eyes for years to come. I hope some of the people who think girls can’t get anything out of HS ball read your post.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Kudos to your DD! For those jr high kids it’s a HUGE deal to get to work with a real live HS player. She’ll be a superstar in their eyes for years to come. I hope some of the people who think girls can’t get anything out of HS ball read your post.

Thanks MNDad. In my opinion high school ball and travel ball are VERY different. As long as you go into it with that understanding, it is quite possible to enjoy both of them. It is those that try to treat them like the same thing that end up disappointed, IMO anyway.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD is 16 and just starting her junior year in high school. Her school has just created a junior high softball team and just played their first ever game earlier this week. The program was unable to find a head coach, so the varsity coach is leading the program with the help of a few volunteers. DD is one of those volunteers. She is a very smart young lady and loves this sport, so I was not surprised when she told me about this. But watching her work with the players before and during their first game was enlightening to me. In my opinion, she did an excellent job working with them and explaining areas of potential improvement (in a positive manner). I was especially impressed with how the players intently listened to and followed her advice and instructions. She really seems to have their attention.

Last night she was sitting at the kitchen table with a white board listing a bunch of different activities. The varsity coach is unavailable to attend practice today, so DD is running it herself. She spent nearly 90 minutes devising a plan for the practice hitting all major areas that she felt were areas of potential improvement based on Wednesday's game. She even asked me to attend practice today to work on hitting with a few of them.

I am seeing a completely different side of my DD and it has made me extremely proud. Even more proud than I was already.

Too AWESOME FP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on raising such a fine young lady:D

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The sport just took another step in the right direction. She will get hooked!

My dd is assisting tomorrow with her former college team. She is so excited.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
That's fantastic!! Love the part about planning for the next practice. Too many coaches wing it, she's starting off in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck