DD and Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I've made this post before so I really apologize for the repetition

I have witnessed an experienced second year 16u and a second year 10u get hit in the mask this year. Both I saw very clearly as I was watching the pitcher more than the batter. (I saw a third dropped by a shot to the mask but I didn't see it until the crowd collectively gasped in fear.)

Both girls had their glove out in front of them. There was no way whatsoever either could have got a glove up to knock it down. No way, no how. It happened too fast. I'm talking moving the glove up 10-12 inches. Too fast.

The 10u is my dd. yes, she's a 10u but she played about 80 games this season and I don't remember her ever not getting a glove against a ball to deflect it and knock on wood she has never taken one off the shin or torso.

I want to be clear: I think that on occasion a ball is hit so sharply that it is impossible to get a glove up to deflect it from the head no matter what the age is. DD wears a heart protector shirt and a mask. If she could only be one or the other it would be the mask. The glove is in front of the heart. It isn't in front of their face. Never seen a girl get hit in the torso. Saw three get hit in the head this season. Hard.

There is not one compelling reason to NOT wear a mask. Not one. I can't explain why your dd seemed to pitch better without a mask but she can do it with a mask and she should in my opinion.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
A team that I am associated with, as the pitching coach, is requiring all players to wear a mask. (I don't know about OF). They are 12U, 14U, and 16U. No one said a word. They just went and bought a mask.

I wear one. So, no one thinks it is unusual.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Be a parent - if you want her to wear a mask then she should wear it.

Sorry to put it bluntly but it is not her decision at 8U or 10U or even 12U or older what protective equipment you as a parent decide is appropriate for her to wear. There have been posts here from others on other threads "If you want to play, then putting the mask on when you pitch or play XXX is part of the deal". If you feel strongly then this is not a "be her friend" moment but a "I am your parent and it will be so" moment. No bribes or persuasion - if you want to play put it on.

I feel doubly strongly about this because my DD unfortunately cannot wear any of the current masks as she has a skin condition that breaks out badly whenever she puts a fielding mask on on for more than a few minutes (tried them all). She wears a mouthguard religiously but I always worry it wont nearly be enough if something happens.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Her reasoning is she feels more confident pitching and she feels like she can field her position much better.

On time my DD told me she "FELT" like she no longer needed to wear a mask while pitching, so I told her she could stop wearing it as soon as she paid me back for all of her dental work.....$7212 and counting (braces, cavities, cleanings, root canal).....a couple of weeks ago in an ASA qualifier one of our batters hit a line drive that knocked the face mask off the opposing pitcher after tipping off her glove. She dusted it off, put it back on and continued pitching. If she was not wearing it, it would have been a trip to the hospital in an ambulance.

May 13, 2013
My niece is 14u and she asked me if she could try pitching with a mouth piece rather than her mask. I said lets wait until nationals is over and then we can discuss the mouth piece. She was ok with that and then asked if she could use just her mouth piece while playing first base. I felt like that was an ok compromise for the time being.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
FWIW, my oldest DD wears a mask and I don't think I'll let her step into the circle without it while she lives under my roof. I was a pitcher (baseball, not fastpitch) and I hit a kid in the face on a pitch that got away from me. It was the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. It knocked out most of his front teeth and he was taken away to have oral surgery on the spot. I felt terrible and psychologically it never really left me. Now that I'm a father and all of my kids play ball, I may be overprotective as a result of my youth, but I don't think I could live with myself if any of my girls took a ball to the face.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was wondering how the batter feels. Thanks, Waspeed. People that saw the UofA catcher take a foul ball to the face, while batting, still remember it. That young lady nearly took her own life, do to complications from the concussion.

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
So I am finally to my point. :) I always assumed the younger players as they got older would bring the masks to the next level. But if my DD is any indication that may not occur. Maybe they just stop wearing them as they get older? Again I am not interested in debating masks but curious if others with DDs getting older are going through or have gone through the same thing?

I recently went and watched a 12u game at the TCWS (my DD is moving up next year) and noticed the lack of masks. I was very surprised and expected to see more of them. I thought to myself, I would for sure have pitcher, 3b and 1b wear one.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My daughter pitches in 8U and refuses to wea a mask, Im trying to bribe her or something. Lines drives off the face break bones, require surgery, scary stuff.

Your DD is 8U, she doesn't get to refuse to do anything you tell her to do. If you want her to wear a mask, she wears a mask or doesn't play.

Oct 3, 2009
Your DD is 8U, she doesn't get to refuse to do anything you tell her to do. If you want her to wear a mask, she wears a mask or doesn't play.
I do agree with that point. Jinj I think our DDs both play in the same area. DD plays for Chaos. Curious if your team's pitchers are moving away from masks. Again the source of my question is I always assumed my DD's "generation" would bring masks to the next level. But I am seeing many of them start to let them go especially as we play up in 18u events and they start the recruiting process.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd