Daughter's swing. Tell me what you think

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
This is my first attempt at a video of my daughter's swing for the purpose of getting feedback. Would welcome and appreciate any comments.

She's just-turned 12 years old. Typically been a contact hitter who lacked power. Lean, long body (5'4, 100). Good coordination, IMO, but not that strong physically.

I've worked with her on some rotational techniques, such as power L, toe to the ground on contact. She's made a lot of progress, but still a ways to go.

Last edited:
R

RayR

hard to make a diagnosis off a tee swing...but it in these swings she is dropping her hands...also the tee is too far out in front.

She looks very athletic so I don't think she is incapable of making the change to not drop her hands from a physical standpoint...breaking the habit of not dropping her hands is a whole nother matter...

The hand dropping is causing her to collapse her weight on her back side so she is getting to contact using just her arms which would sap power...

Another item is that she is late getting off her back heel....her hands and rear heel should make a good move together....

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
#1 suggestion/question is what does she look like with pitching coming at minimum 40mph - 45mph. That is the swing you want to record and to work on. It may look nothing like this tee swing and so working on the tee swing may be of little benefit. If it does look like the tee swing then you can start building from there. It's possible that there is no connection between her weak game hits and this tee swing. Make the effort to get the real cuts on tape. It could b e a breakthrough for you.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
#1 suggestion/question is what does she look like with pitching coming at minimum 40mph - 45mph. That is the swing you want to record and to work on. It may look nothing like this tee swing and so working on the tee swing may be of little benefit. If it does look like the tee swing then you can start building from there. It's possible that there is no connection between her weak game hits and this tee swing. Make the effort to get the real cuts on tape. It could b e a breakthrough for you.

This tee swing is not what we've seen from her in games, at least not from last summer. My thinking was that she needs to develop the swing on the tee, then transfer it to front toss and the live pitching. When I described her as a contact hitter w/o a lot of power, that was more a result of her old swing, not the one she's hopefully moving toward that you see half-baked in this video.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Timing of sequence could be better.

There is a small segment of "Fwd-by-Coiling", and during that segment her rear elbow is lowering ... which is the opposite of what you'd want.

Another way to say this is that she surrenders her 'stretch' prematurely or doesn't build adequate stretch.

Consider putting the rear elbow on the shelf while she is "Fwd-by-Coiling", and having the hips take them off after they reverse from the Fwd-by-Coiling action ... and not before. Don't restrict loading the barrel ... it's a good thing ... let it happen.

Very important to have the hands loading rearward as the hips move forward ... and that will immediately impact your daughter's barrel path for the better.

Also ... take note of the severe reverse 'C' shape ... you tell me why you think this might be happening. Does she understand the concept of hitting behind the front "leg"? I don't believe she does.

358tqar.jpg

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Also ... take note of the severe reverse 'C' shape ... you tell me why you think this might be happening. Does she understand the concept of hitting behind the front "leg"? I don't believe she does.

No, she does not. She knows what it looks like when I show her video of Pujols and others, so she has some idea of the concept, but doesn't know how to execute it. She also had a laugh when she saw her head in this video.

Thanks for all your comments. For the others, I need to re-read and absorb. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi