Daughter swing faster with overload bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yes I programmed the app to the bat size and weight. The tee is located low outside. She’s a 8th grader I wouldn’t dare give her 28 ounce bat in the game. We use 28 ounce for the overload training purpose only. We use a 19 ounce bat for under then her regular 33/23 bat. She had other 60 mph speed with the heavy bat it wasn’t a one off. First time using her heavy bat on blast. Was surprised at the numbers. Wanted some insight on directions on what to do with the information. I appreciate the input given

Is this swing at 30 fps?

I think it is at 30 fps and she has an 8 frame swing. Or it could be at 60 fps and she has one of those 8 frame swings.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Can you elaborate on this?

the back elbow should slot before the hands come forward. It could be the extra weight which would tell me the bat is too heavy and to dial it back. Maybe check the swings w the lighter bat and see if the elbow doesn’t slot on time as well. If so, then maybe a mechanical change is in order. If it does then the heavy bat is distorting the bat path. Maybe the bat ‘speed’ is higher w the heavier bat, but the trade off might be detrimental.

nothing wrong w a heavier bat as long as efficiency doesn’t suffer.

May 20, 2017
Thanks that is a really good point didn’t noticed it. What drills do you prefer to help with this
[/QU
Is this swing at 30 fps?

I think it is at 30 fps and she has an 8 frame swing. Or it could be at 60 fps and she has one of those 8 frame swings.
im not sure using blast motion sensor. We try to load as slow as possible on the Tee because don’t want her using too much linear to try to generate power. I shared our quasi stretch fire drill that is more game like swings. I have noticed over under load training has helped increased power and speed.
What I wasn’t for sure about was if we go to a drop 9 would that help. I’m not a fan of 34” In ladies I would rather her swing 33 -8 when she gets older and stronger.

May 20, 2017
If the elbow doesn’t slot first, generally the player can’t connect to rotation and will usually push the hands forward to create speed.
You are absolutely correct. We have been working on that. Her blast early connection was low. At contact she was 90. Started doing too hand drills and slotting the back elbow It helped on plan efficiency as well.
I don’t work or technique on over under I just want to see her firing from her core in a slow tempo. She is learning to swing the front leg down so been impress with her progress.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You are absolutely correct. We have been working on that. Her blast early connection was low. At contact she was 90. Started doing too hand drills and slotting the back elbow It helped on plan efficiency as well.
I don’t work or technique on over under I just want to see her firing from her core in a slow tempo. She is learning to swing the front leg down so been impress with her progress.

I use high tee for that. High inside pulled balls... Or a heavy bat or long bat with front toss briskly inside, ask for the ball to be pulled. She will have to slot properly and the planing will improve.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thanks that is a really good point didn’t noticed it. What drills do you prefer to help with this. This is a more realistic current swing
Your DD's swing looks good up to front toe landing. After that.... The 'chickening wing' is there. I'm guessing the 'forced' high over the shoulder finish is the cause. It's forcing your DD to get into positions that allows the high finish. Need to 'free' up those hands to TTB. Again JMHO.

May 20, 2017
What are your thought on the ball drop drill?
This is a version of stretch and fire. I don't let her know when I’m releasing the ball so she have to see and react. I try to mix it up and I drop the ball from lower positions around. Shoulder height. My goal is to make her maintain stretch to swing at anytime or hold stretch to be able to swing as needed. I don’t want to see a double clutch or any additional moves other than swinging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles