Daughter swing faster with overload bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2017
Is it common for DD to have a higher bat speed with a 34/28 instead of her regular 33/23. Should we look into using a heavier bat during the game?

Feb 16, 2015
South East
How much faster is it? What sensor is being used? What is the time to contact time? This would be the more important metric IMO........ All the sensors that I am aware of either measure from the end of the bat (cap) or a few inches down from the end of the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 20, 2017
We use Blast motion
She gets up to this speed with her regular.
was surprised I thought with the added weight and length the speed would be lower
Time to Contact was .20
she is normaly in .18 range
She lives in 58 mph bat speed range

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
How much faster is it? What sensor is being used? What is the time to contact time? This would be the more important metric IMO........ All the sensors that I am aware of either measure from the end of the bat (cap) or a few inches down from the end of the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is using a Blast sensor. The sensor measures barrel speed 6 inches from the top and then 6 inches down the barrel.

Likewise it measures hand speed 6 inches from the knob.

Blast doesn’t measure the very ends.

Yes Blast does measure time to contact and acceleration. So it can measure how quick your swing is.

May 12, 2016
Maybe knowing she has a heavier bat in her hand makes her swing harder. She amps it up more.. don’t know. Possibly she changes her mechanics with the heavier bat... relies more on her major muscles groups. Maybe the sensor is faulty.

IMO, forget the sensor for now. Go to the field and see which bat she hits the ball furthest and hardest with... make sure front toss or live pitching With different locations ....not off the tee.

May 20, 2017
Yes I programmed the app to the bat size and weight. The tee is located low outside. She’s a 8th grader I wouldn’t dare give her 28 ounce bat in the game. We use 28 ounce for the overload training purpose only. We use a 19 ounce bat for under then her regular 33/23 bat. She had other 60 mph speed with the heavy bat it wasn’t a one off. First time using her heavy bat on blast. Was surprised at the numbers. Wanted some insight on directions on what to do with the information. I appreciate the input given

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee