Daughter swing faster with overload bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
Yes I programmed the app to the bat size and weight. The tee is located low outside. She’s a 8th grader I wouldn’t dare give her 28 ounce bat in the game. We use 28 ounce for the overload training purpose only. We use a 19 ounce bat for under then her regular 33/23 bat. She had other 60 mph speed with the heavy bat it wasn’t a one off. First time using her heavy bat on blast. Was surprised at the numbers. Wanted some insight on directions on what to do with the information. I appreciate the input given

She can potentially swing the bat faster no doubts about that. She may be putting a little extra mustard on her swing. I would also check exit velocities on the ball. It will tell the tale

IF she can swing that heavier bat faster I would let her use it if its legal. Ive seen girls have significantly higher exit velocities swinging wood bats in the drop 3/4 range

May 12, 2016
Looks like a nice swing and a strong girl for her age. I just want to stress again, before deciding to use a heavier bat or move up ion length, please have her swing against live pitching or front toss. Have her take 50 pitches one day with the heavy bat and then 50 with the lighter, and then on another day 50 with the lighter bat and then 50 with the heavier. Make sure all pitches aren't meatballs down the middle.

It's impressive that she can swing a heavy bat that size faster than the lighter bat, she should proud herself and you proud of her. But at the end of the day it's how many ball you can barrel up off live pitching that's going to make the difference

Edit: Mix in some balls as well, can she check a bat that size once it starts moving. Good warm up before you start though, wouldn't want her to strain her wrist/obliques or something else.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Maybe knowing she has a heavier bat in her hand makes her swing harder. She amps it up more.. don’t know. Possibly she changes her mechanics with the heavier bat... relies more on her major muscles groups. Maybe the sensor is faulty.

IMO, forget the sensor for now. Go to the field and see which bat she hits the ball furthest and hardest with... make sure front toss or live pitching With different locations ....not off the tee.

I have seen this, I agree the heavy bat might force her to use different muscle groups.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yes I programmed the app to the bat size and weight. The tee is located low outside. She’s a 8th grader I wouldn’t dare give her 28 ounce bat in the game. We use 28 ounce for the overload training purpose only. We use a 19 ounce bat for under then her regular 33/23 bat. She had other 60 mph speed with the heavy bat it wasn’t a one off. First time using her heavy bat on blast. Was surprised at the numbers. Wanted some insight on directions on what to do with the information. I appreciate the input given

The blast sensor provides the feedback you seek. It takes over and under load to a new level.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Compare bats with decent speed front toss numbers and see what happens. Either way it is impressive. I have the exact same bat 34/28. Use it for half speed to extension drills. Is there such a thing as a 34/25 fastpitch bat? If so, get one!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812