Dallas Escobedo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Haha. Who here thinks that they can catch for Dallas, anyway? All I know is she has the rings to prove how many games she has won. UofA would have loved to have had her here, but rumors said that her dad insisted on ASU. And she and Fowler had competed and didn't want to be on the same team.

She isn't a cookie cutter pitcher. She pitches closed, as opposed to open. I always think of her, when an older girl comes in and is closed. I am working to open a 10yo up, right now - but it might not be possible.

Jul 26, 2010
I've always been mesmerized by her mechanics, especially in slow motion. It's like watching a beautiful train-wreck. So much power. So much physical damage. She's sort of built like a train.

-W

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Haha. Who here thinks that they can catch for Dallas, anyway? All I know is she has the rings to prove how many games she has won. UofA would have loved to have had her here, but rumors said that her dad insisted on ASU. And she and Fowler had competed and didn't want to be on the same team.

She isn't a cookie cutter pitcher. She pitches closed, as opposed to open. I always think of her, when an older girl comes in and is closed. I am working to open a 10yo up, right now - but it might not be possible.

With Dallas' closed mechanics, how does she keep from hurting her shoulder?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
With Dallas' closed mechanics, how does she keep from hurting her shoulder?

She is really semi closed. Her left shoulder is actually turned somewhere in the direction of the first base dugout and not at first base which would be totally closed. She pitches somewhat in that direction and lets the ball go a little earlier because of it. This allows her to not get injured but prevents her from throwing anything that would resemble a drop ball. She is hard to watch. Amy, a 67 mph riseball would not be hard to catch.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Don't give her credit for being a top of the line pitcher although she is very good and her record speaks for itself.

How much more does she need to achieve to be considered a top of the line pitcher- she won the WCWS as a freshman, and was considered in the top 10 as a POY this year. there are other college pitchers who throw in her velocity range among the top 20 colleges= but they are not in her league. I just think you are being pretty harsh in your criticism of her skills.

JS do rise balls really rise?:rolleyes:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She has stayed healthy, while many other pitchers are injured. And she has thrown, as many innings as anyone, since she was 12.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I didn't say she wasn't good. She has a 1.95 ERA. Pretty good. That puts her in 55th place for all D1 pitchers. Now granted some play in lesser conferences and their ERA's are better because of that. But many are from top flight conferences. I am not beating her up it's just that she is really good and that's about it. If I were building a team that I wanted to win the WCWS and could pick the top 5 pitchers, she wouldn't be near the list.

Feb 7, 2013
To somehow suggest that Dallas is not a Top 10 D1 pitcher is ludicruos. She is also one of the few pitchers that throw a low and high riseball, consistently.

The difference between a riseball and a high fastball is spin and release angle. Try catching a fastball with topspin and a riseball with backspin (or even some side spin) to the same location and you will know the difference.

BTW- a riseball doesn't rise but drops slower than a fastball. There, I said it......

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
nooooooooo.......you have opened the door to evil rocketech1 and MandM. I will check back in when you all reach post 500 and half of you are banned and the other half have each other on ignore. Let's just talk politics and religion instead so we have a chance at it staying more civil.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
does anyone have any video of Dallas in slow motion? i have always wanted to see how she throws her riseball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi