D1 recruiting riules?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
Last week DD sent her skills video to 3 D1 schools. She received an email back from two of them and they seemed to contain conflicting information. Rather than me trying to paraphrase, I thought I would just copy and paste the salient parts:

School 1:

just wanted to share our camp/clinic information with you for this upcoming summer. NCAA Rules prevent me from corresponding with you via email until September first of your sophomore year (this is a new rule - prior to this summer we had to wait until you were a junior) - so we will be in touch soon enough.

School 2:

We look forward to staying in touch with you and watching you play, however, due to NCAA recruiting rules (bylaw 13.4.1) we are not able to provide you with any recruiting materials, other than our online questionnaire, until September 1 of your junior year.

So the first one indicates September 1 of DD's SOPHOMORE year (DD is just finishing her freshman year), and the second one indicates September 1 of her JUNIOR year. Anyone know which coach is right? School one indicates that there was a recent rule change. Maybe school two isn't aware? It's confusing. FWIW, these schools are in the same conference.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 10, 2011
Last week DD sent her skills video to 3 D1 schools. She received an email back from two of them and they seemed to contain conflicting information. Rather than me trying to paraphrase, I thought I would just copy and paste the salient parts:

School 1:

just wanted to share our camp/clinic information with you for this upcoming summer. NCAA Rules prevent me from corresponding with you via email until September first of your sophomore year (this is a new rule - prior to this summer we had to wait until you were a junior) - so we will be in touch soon enough.

School 2:

We look forward to staying in touch with you and watching you play, however, due to NCAA recruiting rules (bylaw 13.4.1) we are not able to provide you with any recruiting materials, other than our online questionnaire, until September 1 of your junior year.

So the first one indicates September 1 of DD's SOPHOMORE year (DD is just finishing her freshman year), and the second one indicates September 1 of her JUNIOR year. Anyone know which coach is right? School one indicates that there was a recent rule change. Maybe school two isn't aware? It's confusing. FWIW, these schools are in the same conference.

Thanks in advance.
D1 has to wait until Sept of the Junior year to contact her. You however can call them or email as much as you want. You can even say, I'm sorry I missed you, but I will call back at 2:00 (or whatever). They may just pick up... and that's great:)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I had one D1 coach tell me that if myself or anyone else were to call her office at noon next Wednesday that she would have to answer the phone since everyone else would be at lunch....

Sep 18, 2011
D1 has to wait until Sept of the Junior year to contact her.

Seems strange, though, that coach 1 would specifically mention that she can contact DD via email after September 1 of her sophomore year and then reference a recent rule change. I guess it doesn't make much difference now anyway.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Div. II is sophomore year (after June 15th) - unlimited calls

Div. I is Junior year

I believe the proposed change for Div. 1 was tabled. Perhaps it's been re-initiated?

Oct 10, 2011
Taken from NCSA
Division I coaches have the most restrictive rules when it comes to contacting recruits. The contact rules are different for basketball, football and ice hockey because basketball recruiting happens earlier than most sports, football has additional contact and evaluation periods and ice hockey is slightly behind general recruiting. Outside of Division I, the contact dates are the same for all sports.

At any time, DI coaches can send you questionnaires and camp invites
September 1st of your junior year - college coaches can begin sending you personalized letters and emails
July 1st AFTER your junior year - college coaches can begin calling you once per week and are allowed to contact you off-campus

Oct 2, 2012
This is what gets me. DD was a sophomore in HS this current school year. Her school year ends in June. At that moment she becomes a Junior. I think people are confused (including me) about this.
So, from this, will DD be considered (by NCAA) a sophomore or a junior this September?

Mar 26, 2013
This is what gets me. DD was a sophomore in HS this current school year. Her school year ends in June. At that moment she becomes a Junior. I think people are confused (including me) about this.
So, from this, will DD be considered (by NCAA) a sophomore or a junior this September?
She will be a junior. NCAA goes by school year, not calendar year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild