D-1 Speeds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
You guys must live in areas of the country where there simply aren't good 13 year old pitchers. Around here, every dad says his dd throws 65 consistently. I talked to one pitcher that might be pitching at my HS and she throw 5 pitches for strikes and has 2 more she can throw.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
12 YO DD throws the following 14 pitches
1) Fastball
2) Rise
3) Curve
4) Screwball
5) Change
6) Drop
7) Off-Speed Drop
8) Crise
9) Scrise
10) Crop
11) Scrop
12) Off-Speed Curve
13) Knuckle
14) .....
Dang! My bad... Looks likes he has 13 pitches. Guess we have a new goal to achieve before the season starts...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Throwing 60+ at 14U will get the attention of a lot of D1 programs, but is not a guarantee for success. I have seen 60+ MPH pitchers get lit up like the 4th of July because their pitches do not move and good hitters make the adjustment. I have also seen several top D1 programs take pitchers based solely on their size, 6'-2" left handed pitchers do not grow on trees, and a lot of coaches will verbal them hoping they will develop into the next Cat Osterman. Recruiting is not an exact science and coaches use a lot more than pitch speed when evaluating a player.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
w
6'-2" left handed pitchers do not grow on trees,

I was curious recently how much of a factor height might be in both recruiting and subsequent success.
So I purused a handful of top SEC 2016 rosters...

Not all schools list player height as part of their roster pages, but in those that do, I was surprised by the overall lack of height.
Its been a while since I did this but, I only remember maybe 1-2 6'0" (or taller) pitchers? (and the tall examples werent nexessarily the "aces"...)
Most rosters with pitchers in the range of 5'6"-5'10".

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
Theres an older girl in our program that is over 6'. Tons of speed but lacks control. She is finally going to an IR coach. Her former coach taught slam the door. I'm excited to see what happens with her. Hope she continues with softball as I think she has the physical traits to become special.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
w

I was curious recently how much of a factor height might be in both recruiting and subsequent success.
So I purused a handful of top SEC 2016 rosters...

Not all schools list player height as part of their roster pages, but in those that do, I was surprised by the overall lack of height.
Its been a while since I did this but, I only remember maybe 1-2 6'0" (or taller) pitchers? (and the tall examples werent nexessarily the "aces"...)
Most rosters with pitchers in the range of 5'6"-5'10".

It is pretty straightforward. Some of the major factors are:

1) A lot of the athletic 6'+ girls end up in basketball and volleyball. Basketball has a lot more full scholarships and being tall is REALLY important since the basketball coach can't have a 5'8" girl playing center, but the softball coach certainly can have a 5'8" girl pitch and be very successful. There really isn't that many mobile, athletic 6'+ girls out there
2) When it comes down to NLI/Roster spots coaches start to get a much better feel on whether the early 'verbal' worked out or not - and whether it is time to just go outand sign a pitcher who is actually already producing at a higher level.
3) College pitching is hard and while the coach MAY be able to turn her into a pitcher, someone has to pitch NOW. So they end up getting beaten out by the 5'8" girl who understands pitching and is getting circle time. Then they either transfer or leave the game like other girls do.

I talk to a lot of college coaches who believe they will be able to turn the raw athlete into a great player, but there are not many college coaches who are truly capable of this. A lot of players get better in college more because they are spending a lot of time dedicated to the sport, they get into a regular lifting/fitness program, they continue to physically and mentally mature and the competition is even more intense.

Most college coaches aren't pitching coaches and even if they are, the ones that teach HE are all over the place - including ones who were great pitchers in college themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach