D-1 Speeds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
DD has been on a good three week break from anything having to do with softball. Partly due to her wisdom teeth being removed but I thought she needed a break from it all so we decided to take 4 weeks and "re-set".

A couple of days ago I was having a conversation with a fellow "pitching dad" and he stated that in order for a pitcher to reach the D-1 level they need to be pitching mid 60's by the time they are playing first year 14's. I told him he was nuts and if there were 13-14 year old girls out ther pitching 65 mph on a regular basis then I've missed it. Sure, I'm sure there are a few kids in the country that can throw that hard but making a statement of "gotta be throwing 65 at first year 14"s" is absurd in my opinion.

So, any thoughts? Am I completely wrong and that really is the case or are my thoughts correct?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
DD has been on a good three week break from anything having to do with softball. Partly due to her wisdom teeth being removed but I thought she needed a break from it all so we decided to take 4 weeks and "re-set".

A couple of days ago I was having a conversation with a fellow "pitching dad" and he stated that in order for a pitcher to reach the D-1 level they need to be pitching mid 60's by the time they are playing first year 14's. I told him he was nuts and if there were 13-14 year old girls out ther pitching 65 mph on a regular basis then I've missed it. Sure, I'm sure there are a few kids in the country that can throw that hard but making a statement of "gotta be throwing 65 at first year 14"s" is absurd in my opinion.

So, any thoughts? Am I completely wrong and that really is the case or are my thoughts correct?

You're good. There would be no pitchers if this was the case. Has he watched any d1 games on tv? what? they have not improved since turning 14?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD's teammate at SC has a couple of PGF National Titles in TB and works it right at about 60mph. Maybe the top 1% of college pitchers at all levels work at 65+ and many are in the 50's. The current National Champions had 1 consistently bringing 65+, Lauren Haeger.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I was listening to a conversation between PC and dd. PC was telling her that the pitcher she caught for in college threw 52mpr but she had great movement and location. I saw the light bulb go one with my dd. She's not super fast but this spin and location is attainable:)

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Yes this is absurd. No real further discussion needed.

Even the numbers don't work out - there are roughly 200 D1 programs who have 3-4 pitchers on each roster with a heavy roster emphasis on underclassman. There is no way there are 200+ thirteen year olds throwing in the mid-60's - not even considering the girls who leave the game, play different sports or get injured before they are college eligible.

I've seen successful pitchers in the low 50's in D1 (not BIG D1, but winning D1 none the less) and unsuccessful 65mph pitchers in D1 and everything in between.

Now if he said something like "they need to be pitching 60+ if they want to get noticed by (insert WCWS final 8 team here) when they are 13" then that is a different statement. But that isn't D1 level - that is the top 4% of D1 teams and even then they are not finalizing their recruiting classes until at least the NLI date - often later.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Quick addition:

I am friends with a couple of local college coaches I knew would have the below info (because they both have graduate assistants/student managers who do this sort of thing for them).

Opponent Highest Pitching Speed in a Game - any pitch (2015):
D2 Team, Sunshine State Conference: Average: 56, Top 64, Low 48 (low was against a non-conference team who are from the bottom of D2, top was in conference)
D1 Team, SunBelt Conference: Average: 59.5, Top 69, Low 52 (note the top speed was outside conference and I suspect was either against Michigan, Florida or FSU who they did play last year)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks