Cutting Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
you had to expect that....but the problem is solved and chalk it up to experience and make some notes for the next time you offer a roster spot to a player....the social media thing can't be denied and is of record in the cyber world for all of time seemingly....but "drug use"?.....was that "hear-say" by others....or picture posted....even an arrest or failed drug test? Please don't leave us hanging right when it really got interesting....

Jan 23, 2013
Colorado
She posted it herself in a Status update. That she was hanging out with such and such smoking a bowl of some good Dank. Team policies are in place signed by player and parents of no tobacco, alcohol, or drug use by players. If this particular policy is violated they are immediately removed from the team. In all my years I have never cut a player. Didn't feel to good but it's what's best for everyone.

Apr 11, 2012
She posted it herself in a Status update. That she was hanging out with such and such smoking a bowl of some good Dank. Team policies are in place signed by player and parents of no tobacco, alcohol, or drug use by players. If this particular policy is violated they are immediately removed from the team. In all my years I have never cut a player. Didn't feel to good but it's what's best for everyone.

wow....! so much for flying under the radar.....these "look-at-me bragbook kids" nowadays have no concept of a stealth like lifestyle in hinding their indiscretions....and litterally have no futures as CEO's, spys and/or organized crime members....they are qualified and have shots at being politians though....you know "stupid with checked pasts".....also their slang terms for weed are lame...."dank"....LOL....

all kidding aside....you did the right thing and can't have that....some things you can't take back and that's definately one of them and somebody had to be the first player you ever cut if you hang around this game long enough....and probably won't be your last.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
one thing you could offer to do that would be awesome is to try and help her find her a spot on a lower level team. Softball is a great antidote to drug use and keeping her in the game somehow might prevent smoking a bowl from turning into smoking meth. It's not your responsibility of course, but it would be a gesture that made you feel like you had really dotted your I's and crossed your t's on this little life lesson.

Feb 7, 2013
I'm curious what you would have done had this team rule violation been committed by your #1 pitcher or your DD and 4 of her teammates. Would you have folded the team over one incident?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I'm curious what you would have done had this team rule violation been committed by your #1 pitcher or your DD and 4 of her teammates. Would you have folded the team over one incident?

That is a very good question. Even at our high School there is a no tolerance policy however for 1st offense it's like a 14 day suspension, 2nd offense is a 21 day suspension, 3rd offense off the team and cannot go out for any other athletics for the rest of their HS career. I agree with having a policy and can understand having to let her go, but what happens when the above question happens?

Feb 7, 2013
Even in travel, no question, let the players go and if you don't have enough left to play, hold tryouts for the spring or the next season. More tryouts are starting to happen at more times of the year anyway. Help the remaining kids who obeyed the rules find other teams or guest spots in the meantime because that's who it's about. That's all you can do. If it's your DD, then you may stop coaching, so hand the reins to an assistant or someone else.

So a 14YO player that smokes one cigarette at home should be banished from the team forever. Seems a little excessive to me. Softball coaches shouldn't be the moral police, its the family that should be addressing discipline away from the field.

What I also don't like about these particular team rules is that they seem too convenient for this coach to cut a player based on performance. That is why I asked him if he would cut his DD, star pitcher, or a whole group of players who broke the rules just once or is it only applicable to "difficult" players who are not contributing to the team as was expected at tryouts?

Jun 7, 2013
What I find interesting about this thread is that the initial question was about cutting a player
for performance reasons. Most of us weren't too keen on this idea. Then it because an issue
of drug use. Go figure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom