cutter from 14 yr old righty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2011
In our area our junior colleges teach it to all their incoming pitchers. They say it is an easy way to move it all around without putting a lot of practice in. I would love some further explanation from any of you guys regarding the grip as well as exactly how to go about throwing it effectively. I always thought of it as being like a screwball but I feel like I should look into it further for my 16 YO DD. Does anybody have any tips or pics on this pitch? Cannot find much on the web about it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've described this before, but my DD threw a moving fastball. The ball would break in a few inches, and seemed like it moved at the very end. So, is that what you would call a 'cutter'?

My DD had that movement on her fastball when she started pitching at 10. I have no idea how she did it. Nobody taught it to her. The ball just moved. She wouldn't get 12-6 rotation on the fastball, and she didn't get bullet spin. The axis of spin was tilted at about a 45 degree angle as view from the catcher. The ball would break in to a right handed batter.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
What is she throwing? Cutter rise? Is there such a thing?

Need some help with what you call this pitch/grip? DD typically throws a drop ball or fastball 4 seamed like most. However, she was taught about a year ago to throw a different gripped fastball (see pics below). I always thought this grip most resembled something close to a cutter grip?? I just picked that up from reading various posts here I often pick things up the wrong way) and the coach that taught her just called it a two finger fast ball grip. It has really weird spin and I cannot describe it.

We got away from it a few months ago when I realized her mechanics needed much more work and her IR was good when it was true IR but other times she pushed. Now that she is looking much better and more comfortable we started throwing this grip again on occasion with true IR.

Last night we are working out and she was throwing to someone else and I was watching her mechanics. At the end she put this grip on and threw 5-7 balls and they all looked like a rise ball. I had never seen it before like this. 2 TB coaches were there watching and came over and asked "when did she learn the rise ball?" Keep in mind, this is NOT a rise ball but it sure looked like one and not a typical high fast ball.

So I ask for help? What is she throwing? What should we call it if someone asks? We had the rise ball on tap to start working on in 2016 but I am wondering if we need to. Time and games will tell for sure.

Thanks in advance!IMG_1075.JPGIMG_1074.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Thanks SoCal and I don't have any at the moment but will get some for sure. We have been working on finger/grip strength per Coach Pauly's recommendations I read on his site. She is tall and has long fingers so that has helped too. Perhaps it is more of a rise ball grip than a cutter grip but this is another area I just don't know enough about....yet.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
FWIW - Here are 2 grips for a 2 seam / cutter. The first is what my DD used when she learned it. The second is what she uses now.

2-seam-grip-basic-reduced.jpg2-seam-grip-advanced-reduced.jpg

Her grip for the rise is very similar.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Understand that the reason that you apply (or reduce) finger pressure is to manipulate which finger comes off the ball last. That said the the last finger to come off the ball needs to be on the opposite side of the ball from direction you want it to move. You need to experiment with different pressures and grips to find what works best. As with all pitches you need to develop a feeling for which finger comes off less and get a good pull with that finger.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06