cut offs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Runner on 1st and/or second

deep shot to the outfield over their heads.

Who goes where?

I have my ideas..just want to see what you say!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Think and add more info. Rf/lf/cf?.

Usually bounce and caught we are throwing two bases ahead of lead runner. Over head, doesn't happen often, we try to play deep, but I would leave it up to the catcher to call the throw, and or cut and throw.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Depending on the field, a middle IF goes out to be the cutoff (2B for RF, SS for CF and LF), the other middle IF gets 2B, 1B sets up for cut to home, P goes into foul 1/2 between 3B and home. C calls the play.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
On my TB and college teams we use a double-cut.

1B - follows runner to 2nd base in case of throw or rounding too far.
SS/2B - go out to perform double-cut. The trailer sets up about 2/3 of a base-length behind the first cut. Their job is to back-up an errant throw to the first cutoff, and primarily to direct the throw to the proper base. The first cutoff yells "mine" just as a fielder would a fly ball. This is done just before the ball arrives. The second cut-off then turns toward the cutoff and yells the appropriate base, "three", "home" (or "four" is what I used in all cut situations)", etc. An errant throw is supported by yelling "help", and the distance allows the trailer to react to a high throw or a bounced throw that gets past.
1B - once the runner is advancing beyond 2nd base, the 1B assumes the cutoff position, or
3B - covers potential throws to 3rd base, or, on balls hit from left-center to the left field line, the 3B can step out to take the cut if the runner will advance beyond 3rd base. Some may feel the 1B is moving too much, but at least she plays a role.
P - pitcher backs up throws to Home and 3rd base by positioning to the left of the catcher until the throw objective becomes clear.

Last edited:

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Runner to 1st with nobody on:
2nd base player is cut off for RF with throw to 2nd.
SS is cut off for CF and LF with throw to 2nd.

Runner at 1st with the potential to make it to 3rd.
2nd base is still cut for RF with throw to 3rd (she does not cut off as deep though)
SS is still the cut off for CF and LF.

My pitcher is the back up for most throws to 2nd and 3rd coming from out field.

If no possible way for play to be made at 1st, well 1st base better be headed to back up catcher. A good runner on 1st with hit over the outfielders will go home (on my team better be).

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Runner to 1st with nobody on:
2nd base player is cut off for RF with throw to 2nd.
SS is cut off for CF and LF with throw to 2nd.

Runner at 1st with the potential to make it to 3rd.
2nd base is still cut for RF with throw to 3rd (she does not cut off as deep though)
SS is still the cut off for CF and LF.

My pitcher is the back up for most throws to 2nd and 3rd coming from out field.

If no possible way for play to be made at 1st, well 1st base better be headed to back up catcher. A good runner on 1st with hit over the outfielders will go home (on my team better be).

This is about cutoffs on balls over the outfield's head. But why would you make a 2nd baseman or SS move laterally and vertically to get into cutoff position. The SS steps into the cutoff position moving directly toward 1st base, inline with 3rd base, and is already at the correct depth. She receives the long throw, and redirects an offline throw with a short accurate throw to 3rd, of about 2/3 of a base length. That deep cutoff also keeps trailing runners honest. What you are advocating is a typical cutoff scenario for 10U-12U players.

With a runner on 2nd base and a ball hit to CF or LF, the 3rd baseman moves in line to take the throw. They are already at the appropriate depth of about 2/3 of a base length. The SS rolls over to 3rd base to take any cutoff re-direct to 3rd base. This is how it is done at the highest levels. It is how it is done at higher TB levels, certainly at the University level, and it is how it is done in Olympic programs.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
What you are advocating is a typical cutoff scenario for 10U-12U players. (asked by Steve Huff)

As I am a middle school/JV coach with limited amount of student body to work with. Of course I should have stated I was referring to young kids.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
What you are advocating is a typical cutoff scenario for 10U-12U players. (asked by Steve Huff)

As I am a middle school/JV coach with limited amount of student body to work with. Of course I should have stated I was referring to young kids.

I think when you coach young kids, or inexperienced players, then you need to correctly evaluate the experience and conceptual level of the kids. Young kids can't handle the assignments as I described. They also have weaker arms. But that also makes the more vulnerable to trailing runners advancing on long secondary throws. If often means people not backing up bases properly such as pitchers backing up home or 3rd base.

So you do what you can do to fix these issues. And with middle school, JV kids, that probably means less sophistication in assignments. Yes, I wish you had specified the age and skill level. When you have JV kids show up to tryouts without a ball, glove as I posted in another thread, you can't expect them to have a high softball IQ.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I am always open to learning more, especially from more seasoned coaches. So I must ask:

So if no play is to be made at 1st, where should first back the throw up at? 2nd? Granted I work with 11-15 year old girls.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild