cut offs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I am always open to learning more, especially from more seasoned coaches. So I must ask:

So if no play is to be made at 1st, where should first back the throw up at? 2nd? Granted I work with 11-15 year old girls.

First you have to decide if you are working single or double cut-offs.
If double cut-offs, your answer has already been made.
If single cut-offs on a ball hit over the LF head for example, the RF would come in the back up 2nd, because the OF'ers should never be watching the game. If no one is on, the 1B can back up second. But what if there is a runner on 1st base (possible other runners, but they are not of as much concern)? Then 1B would move back over into cutoff position.
Over the CF head, the same scenario would be made, except the 1B would already be backing up 2nd base when in cutoff position.
Over RF head, the 1B would move to the cutoff position with a runner on 1st base. The LF would move in to back up 2nd base. 2B is taking cutoff. SS is covering 2nd base. 3B is at 3rd base, but can step out to back up a throw there if no other runner responsibilities.

Now I mention runner at 1st base a lot. A runner at 2nd or 3rd will score automatically on a ball over the outfield. Without a runner on 1st, then the most likely play will be at 3rd, so you have to be prepared for a play at 3rd base. However, you already are. The SS is at 2nd base. Once the play exceeds her position there, she steps out in line for a cutoff to 3rd base. Now more than likely, the throw won't go there unless the runner is dragging a piano behind her. But that is if there is a potential play there. The 1B is actually in the most likely position to take the throw to home plate.

Important note! I read some coaches comments here about cutoffs. Unfortunately some coaches are moving up in level of play and maintain some lower level player skill sets. ALL final cutoffs for girls who can throw at a reasonable level should be made at approximately 2/3 of a base length. Typically the 1B to home, or 3B to home (pulled to left field), or SS to 3rd base from right field or right-centerfield and to the outfield grass for a throw from left field. These are the only scenarios to the bases. 2B should never be taking a cutoff for girls old enough to throw the ball to the bases because they will never be in the proper 2/3 base length position.

The reason for the 2/3 length is two-fold:
to hold trailing runners
and to make the short accurate throw for making a tag. When coaches can show me 90% of the 2B who can throw from out on the outfield grass, accurately and with enough velocity to make a throw knee-high at the 3rd base bag, or home plate, and hold the trailing runners from advancing, then I will discuss the option of outfield grass cutoffs. As players advance in skill, you stop playing checkers.

Let it be noted that just because someone is in cutoff position, doesn't mean a cutoff is made. A cutoff is made to redirect an errant throw, or an alternate play at another base. There is nothing better than a looong one hop throw to a base which is on target.

Typically there are 3 commands a fielder should know in cutoffs. The first is silence; letting the ball go through. Second is "cut"; redirect the ball to me. And third is "cut-two" for example, specifying the base for a re-directed throw.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
good discussion. not much to add on the cuts most of you have covered it better than I could. But one thing I would like to add is teaching proper setup and reciept of the throw by the cutoff so they are in position to make the throw without wasted motion. too often I see gilrs taking throws perpendicular to the outfielder or worse on the wrong side of their body and see them making 270 degree turns to get set to throw.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
good discussion. not much to add on the cuts most of you have covered it better than I could. But one thing I would like to add is teaching proper setup and reciept of the throw by the cutoff so they are in position to make the throw without wasted motion. too often I see girls taking throws perpendicular to the outfielder or worse on the wrong side of their body and see them making 270 degree turns to get set to throw.

Sweet Lou, this is a really good point. I guess it is a footnote on the issue of cutoffs, but relevant. Catching the ball on the glove side, stepping onto the glove-side foot (RH would be on the left foot) creates the momentum and orientation for a good throw. And when you say "perpendicular", or wrong side of their body, that is exactly what you are talking about. Great post.

Jan 15, 2009
Don't have first back up the catcher, no matter the age. Bad habit is created: the kids use the pitcher as the cut off. Big no-no.

Why do you feel adamantly about this. On some teams granted the pitcher is so specialized she is the last person you want handling anything other than pitching. On younger teams the pitcher is typically the #1 or #2 best overall athlete on the team may even play SS when not pitching, what's the driving need to not have her involved in cutoff's.

We primarily (at 14UA) would have 2nd and short take deep cuts and the pitcher was the interior cutoff (i.e. runner on 1B, ball hit to shallow to medium right field, 2nd base moves towards exterior cutoff postion in case ball ends up deep past RF, pitcher stays near the circle but moves to a position on a line between fielded ball and third base and either cuts the throw to go after trailing runner trying to take 2nd base, or lets it through to third base to go after lead runner). Being an interior cut off doesn't put the pitcher at risk for collision and only the pitcher can force a runner to commit by moving to the circle once they have the ball.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We use 2nd (right or right center) or SS (left or left center) for outfield cut offs. Non-cut off player (SS or 2nd) covers 2nd, 3rd covers 3rd, 1st goes to middle infield to direct traffic, pitcher goes to backup 3rd or home plate depending on where the throw is going.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
We use only single cut offs from over outfielders head to 2nd or 3rd. We use double cut offs going to home. (my girls can throw fair without the rainbows).

I have prefered my 1st base to back up a throw at home when coming from the outfield, usually a good running team and hits the ball that far, that person is the one I am trying to stop at 2nd or 3rd. I barely have 2 pitchers now and do not want anything to happen to them.

Thank you ofr these tips. Hopefully as they develop and majority of team will stay JV for next two years we will step up skills level and practice different cut offs.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We use only single cut offs from over outfielders head to 2nd or 3rd. We use double cut offs going to home. (my girls can throw fair without the rainbows).

I have prefered my 1st base to back up a throw at home when coming from the outfield, usually a good running team and hits the ball that far, that person is the one I am trying to stop at 2nd or 3rd. I barely have 2 pitchers now and do not want anything to happen to them.

Thank you ofr these tips. Hopefully as they develop and majority of team will stay JV for next two years we will step up skills level and practice different cut offs.

If one of your priorities is to protect your pitcher, what better place for them but off the field as a backup by the fence???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole