cut offs at home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2012
Texas
It all a personal preference depending on the trust and ability of your players. We use to use our 1st and 3rd base as cut offs, but recently our pitcher has stepped her game up and we trust in her to make these cut offs.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Using the pitcher started from inexperienced coaches doing it, and when kids who don't know better, started relying on where the athletes are at younger ages, which is at pitcher. The outfielders get in the habit of always throwing to the pitcher, and when defenses get better, it takes the ball out of the hands of the best fielders and puts in the hands of someone who should not be concentrating on that. Then you take the ball out of the hands of the infielders (Eg. SS) who should be learning to be field generals. We have to break this habit of not throwing to SS/2B all the time, and those are the ones that then throw to the pitcher for plays at home.

The simple rule for a pitcher is: If you give up a hit with runners on or an EBH, then get your behind over and backup third or home. If you don't want to do that, don't give up the hit. When we play a team in HS that uses the pitcher, we can be aggressive because it ends up with errors and overthrows. We also know the SS (etc.) is not a proper field general or that the coaching is not there. Some of the pitchers are often mesmerized by watching the hit, which is better for us also.

I saw team USA using the pitcher as a cutoff for the plays to home, during a coaching clinic at a university.

I have seen college coaches running drills using the pitcher as home cut off.

OILF, when you can answer this question correctly you will resume in becoming a better coach.

A chicken farmer has 3 hawks sitting on his coup. He shoots one, how many are left on his coup?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Pitcher is ok... only problems is on overthrows and missed throws. No backup usually.

I agree....if the pitcher is going to be the cutoff is 1B running behind HP or 3B to backup the throws? Would you rather have an everyday infielder or a "pitch and sit" taking the cutoff?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I agree....if the pitcher is going to be the cutoff is 1B running behind HP or 3B to backup the throws? Would you rather have an everyday infielder or a "pitch and sit" taking the cutoff?

I could have my 6 foot gumby armed first baseman cut, and throw the cut into the third base stands, or my athletic star pitcher.

Or, have my stud first baseman, rather than my young pitcher.

The problem being, it is very dynamic.

Like my hawk riddle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207