cut offs at home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
How do you handle cut offs at home?

I have been using my pitcher for the cut off, But the new coach uses first base, because she says the pitcher normally in college cannot throw straight, she is was good d2 player, at first base, and it was what she did.

Should I follow her lead? my first base does not move as well as my pitchers.

Sep 29, 2014
It can be done either way depending on personnel or coaches preference for defensive rotation; the most important thing is that the defensive rotation is well communicated by the coach and that each player know exactly where she is supposed to be and what their responsibilities are in a given scenario.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
First base is the cut off. The pitcher's job is to back up third and home. If you don't get that down early, you will soon have kids chucking the ball to the pitcher from the outfield on every play or out there. And trust me, pitchers (particularly with the rubber as a tripping hazard) are not the best at catching thrown balls either. You want those outfielders looking for a cut off whose job is to make plays at bases, not pitch.

Yeah cause a pitcher doesn't have to catch a ball after every pitch she throws...lol

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not to mention that quite often the pitcher is the best athlete on the team. There is no simplistic one size fits all answer. You use your assets to their full potential, not because that is the way you think it should be done.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
1st is cut off except for left field hits and then 3rd is cut.

Pitcher backs up throws home and throws to third.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I think it has all to do with how your team is. Last year my 1B was a big girl, in fact 1st was the only position I could put her in. We used P as the cuts because typically 1B couldn't get into position in time.

Other years we have used 1B/3B as the cuts.

A one way is the only way attitude shows me something.

Feb 3, 2011
It depends on personnel and situation, because if you're using your personnel correctly, your defensive rotation may be completely different from another team's.

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
You mean the pitcher doesn't just stand there watching ... I help with 10U rec league team for the record. Our situational awareness is non-existant.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Depending on the makeup of your team, your best option may be to use the P for cutoffs, but on most high level team the 1B becomes the cutoff and the pitcher backs up 3B or HP depending on where the throw is going.

Apr 14, 2014
Kansas City
Really depends on the skill level of the players. At our age, 16U, we move our pitcher into back up position. First baseman is the cut-off for all balls coming from LC to RF, third baseman is the cut-off for ball down the left field line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00