Curt Schilling - really????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2011
I am coming to the conclusion that Schilling knows the answers to many if not all of the questions he is asking and just leading the dolts up in the booth.

I agree. I think he's just playing the role of the Superfan. There was some decent interaction between he and Michelle Smith on trying to get a batter to choke up and then use the "slider ". I cannot disagree with some of your critiques but I still enjoyed it.

Nov 12, 2014
NEMO
Jeez ... think about the baseball players watching saying "Schilling is announcing? Maybe I should watch this stuff."

#growthesport

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We are now at 10 "I's" in the game and 3 "me's." He doesn't like the coaches calling the pitches and so just said, "I" with regards to what he would do and how the coaching staff doesn't know what is working for the pitcher on a given day. How can he say that? With runners on 1st and 3rd, he said "As a pitcher, I now need to tell myself to ..." Really, Kurt, you were a pitcher? I"m sure that the pitcher was focused and did strike the hitter out on a nice outside pitch. I actually think those in the booth are stepping up some with some of their commentary. For instance one remarked to Kurt's commentary about coaches calling the pitches and not knowing what was going on in the pitcher's mind that communication is so important between innings. Also, a following comment was made about the Florida pitcher throwing for 4 years for the coach calling the pitches and so, they have a history of knowing each other.

What he says makes perfect sense to me; however, when he says "I", he actually means he and his catcher, who can be most objective and is best located to assess the pitcher's stuff, umpire's zone, and hitter's adjustments. Good luck seeing even half of that from the bench.

Dec 19, 2012
Schlling didn't have another I that I took note of so he did better. Ironically, after the game, I switched over to the Cardinal's game. DD says, "Dad I almost can't watch baseball anymore. It is so slow. Look at Yadi. He is looking into the dugout for a sign and then Lynn steps on. They are wasting so much time." Yet, Kurt mentions that in softball the coach calling the pitches is destroying the pitcher's rhythm. LOL!

Yadi doesn't look in the dugout for signs. Yadi looks in the dugout for plays and/or information. All MLB catchers do. Trust me, Yadi and his pitchers call the game.

Dec 19, 2012
We are now at 10 "I's" in the game and 3 "me's." He doesn't like the coaches calling the pitches and so just said, "I" with regards to what he would do and how the coaching staff doesn't know what is working for the pitcher on a given day. How can he say that?
He can say that because he's probably correct. We see it all the time. Coaches call pitches, the pitches aren't working, and we watching the game question the pitch calling.

With runners on 1st and 3rd, he said "As a pitcher, I now need to tell myself to ..." Really, Kurt, you were a pitcher?
He was a pitcher.....a very good one. He knows what he's talking about when it comes to the mental aspect and the scenario analysis of pitching.

I actually think those in the booth are stepping up some with some of their commentary. For instance one remarked to Kurt's commentary about coaches calling the pitches and not knowing what was going on in the pitcher's mind that communication is so important between innings. Also, a following comment was made about the Florida pitcher throwing for 4 years for the coach calling the pitches and so, they have a history of knowing each other.

In Curt's defense, sometimes in between innings is too late. Knowing a pitcher for 4 years helps, but it does not help you to know what pitches are or are not working that day.

Dec 19, 2012
Schilling did better last night. He seemed more relaxed, asked leading questions, and provided some decent analysis.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Yadi doesn't look in the dugout for signs. Yadi looks in the dugout for plays and/or information. All MLB catchers do. Trust me, Yadi and his pitchers call the game.
You missed the point or a couple of them. Deleted the rest of this.

Dec 19, 2012
I get the points that baseball is almost unwatchable (I agree) and that information comes from the dugout (Which I also agree). What other point or points were you trying to make? Maybe I am missing something........

Apr 28, 2015
I was really hoping Amin and Scarborough would get the call for the Championship Series. Mowins/Mendoza/Smith are just ok. Good enthusiasm for the game, but not much substance. I think Amin / Scarborough are what a tv sports broadcast should be: Play by play calling the action, and the analyst with great knowledge of the game. They work well together, still "sell" the game (which Mowins/Mendoza/Smith do very well), and bring a lot of game knowledge to the table.

ESPN is all about the "selling" part and mostly couldn't care less about the "substance" part of the show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24