Crossfit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Here is what I think about crossfit for softball. I don't want to see it. Now if a athlete wants to go to a crossfit gym and train with the proper supervision then that's fine. What I fear is a softball coach learning some stuff online trying to incorporate it into a team workout. Its not for everyone and its not for just anyone to supervise. The last thing I want to see is a middle aged man who is 40 pounds over weight start pulling kettelbells and bigass tires out of his truck for the girls to work out with. It will be used wrong and someone will get hurt trying to do too much in not enough time.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Anything that promotes core strength and cardiovascular exercise are going to be beneficial. With girls you try to walk the fine balance between getting them physically fit without becoming "too muscular"......

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Anything that promotes core strength and cardiovascular exercise are going to be beneficial. With girls you try to walk the fine balance between getting them physically fit without becoming "too muscular"......

Unless they are taking testosterone 99% of all girls will never become "too muscular"

May 11, 2012
Again, I dont think crossfit is bad,( I like it very much and its quite addicting at times) but I promise you that time would be better spent taking a different approach when training a softball player to be at their peak performance. If the choice is between crossfit or nothing, well then of course crossfit will do great things. However, there is certain ways to build athletes and crossfit isnt the best way to do it.

If you dont beleive me then talk to strength and conditioning coaches all over the country for D1 programs. Ask them if they use crossfit as their way to get their athletes at their peak performance. ITS NOT! They may use crossfit principles and high interval training as certain phases in the season but in no way shape or form is it a training regimen at ANY D1 school for softball, football, baseball, basketball, etc.......

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Here is what I think about crossfit for softball. I don't want to see it. Now if a athlete wants to go to a crossfit gym and train with the proper supervision then that's fine. What I fear is a softball coach learning some stuff online trying to incorporate it into a team workout. Its not for everyone and its not for just anyone to supervise. The last thing I want to see is a middle aged man who is 40 pounds over weight start pulling kettelbells and bigass tires out of his truck for the girls to work out with. It will be used wrong and someone will get hurt trying to do too much in not enough time.

I agree with that! I wouldn't have those coaches teach any type of strength and conditioning program to the players.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
If you dont beleive me then talk to strength and conditioning coaches all over the country for D1 programs. Ask them if they use crossfit as their way to get their athletes at their peak performance. ITS NOT! They may use crossfit principles and high interval training as certain phases in the season but in no way shape or form is it a training regimen at ANY D1 school for softball, football, baseball, basketball, etc.......

This is changing, the days of training isolated muscles are ending :) I am just saying this... As an ex-professional baseball player (catcher), I wish I had done crossfit when I played. I have never been more athletic and balanced with core strength and flexibility than I am now while crossfitting.

There will be a movement toward crossfit type of work out in baseball/softball very soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach