critique my 9yo DD swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Focusing on things like path only and not causation is much like a dog chasing it’s tail.
I am only stating what has helped me work with my DD. To me, these forums talk in riddles, so i am just trying to help put my take on it. Instead of just say 'get a better sequence' i try to point out a specific flaw that i see and if i have tried working on that, i state what has helped.

I maybe missed it in prior posts, but what do you feel this hitter should work on? Or do you think her swing is good the way it is?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I am only stating what has helped me work with my DD. To me, these forums talk in riddles, so i am just trying to help put my take on it. Instead of just say 'get a better sequence' i try to point out a specific flaw that i see and if i have tried working on that, i state what has helped.

I maybe missed it in prior posts, but what do you feel this hitter should work on? Or do you think her swing is good the way it is?

I wasn’t scolding you. I was sayIng the path is a result of the movements and intentIons a player has. I already gave my .02, she is swinging with the hips not the middle. The stretch she creates disappears during launch which creates slack; more muscle, more effort, less speed.

Edit: just wanted to open his mind to see the swing as a whole. Cause and effect. Most swings’ issues are before launch or at launch. Not during the swinging of the bat.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
"scap load" - Antonelli refers to it as getting the elbow behind the hands. This is seen 99% of the time in good hitters. Please note what Stone says about youth hitters in video three. Thanks again for this post Ernie

- EliteBaseball.TV - In hitting, what is the "scap load" and why is it important to know?

- Lack of Scapular Resistance

- Scap Load

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
After a proper "scap load"

- Lead Arm Role In The Swing [Softball Hitting Mechanics]

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I wasn’t scolding you. I was sayIng the path is a result of the movements and intentIons a player has. I already gave my .02, she is swinging with the hips not the middle. The stretch she creates disappears during launch which creates slack; more muscle, more effort, less speed.

Edit: just wanted to open his mind to see the swing as a whole. Cause and effect. Most swings’ issues are before launch or at launch. Not during the swinging of the bat.

Yes I was going to post about the hips to arms connection and how she is rotating the hips without a direct connection to the upper body.

May 12, 2016
Focusing on things like path only and not causation is much like a dog chasing it’s tail.
I agree 100%.. path is important, how we achieve it is more important.. just isolating path could end up taking shortcuts and prevent a hitter from reaching full potential

Reactions: TDS

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yes I was going to post about the hips to arms connection and how she is rotating the hips without a direct connection to the upper body.
To both @Shawn and @W=W, as a father of a DD trying to help her, i would not know the first thing to do wrt to comments on hips and connection. Maybe it is my lack of understanding of sequence. 'The stretch dissappears', why? Are the hands launching too early? I actually see her move hips with elbows but it is the hands that stay farther back. Just seems like there should be some ability to communicate some type of spatial recognition about where the body parts should be. I understand the terms themselves, connection and slack, but just not how to correct them.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
To both @Shawn and @W=W, as a father of a DD trying to help her, i would not know the first thing to do wrt to comments on hips and connection. Maybe it is my lack of understanding of sequence. 'The stretch dissappears', why? Are the hands launching too early? I actually see her move hips with elbows but it is the hands that stay farther back. Just seems like there should be some ability to communicate some type of spatial recognition about where the body parts should be. I understand the terms themselves, connection and slack, but just not how to correct them.

FYB with the intent to contract the middle without turning the legs. I want the legs to resist the ‘turn’. Which will put the pelvis in check momentarily. Eventually the pelvis beats the back leg. But the back foot does hold its ground through contact. Does that make sense?

1591299837169.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Fanboi22

In the past when I taught hip rotation, it didn’t result in a better sequence (hips before hands). One girl comes to mind that was very strong and she had great hip rotation, but she had bat drag bad. Not enough focus on the torso in between the hips and hands. She hit the ball very hard, like I said very strong.

It’s not just you, everyone has issues with working with someone else’s neuromuscular system.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
FYB with the intent to contract the middle without turning the legs. I want the legs to resist the ‘turn’. Which will put the pelvis in check momentarily. Eventually the pelvis beats the back leg. But the back foot does hold its ground through contact. Does that make sense?
Again, these to me are not specific body action that one can practice. If you were to say, 'as you swing pretend your rear leg is dead and planted into the ground. try to swing without moving your back leg.' That would be something. Is that what resist the turn means? Or what should i feel in the rear leg? The rear leg isn't turning, but do you want it to push against the hip?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi