Creating Correct Core Torque

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Hey guys, I’m a little late to the discussion so maybe a few of you are still following this thread and can help out. I’m here in Europe developing a couple of pitchers for the local military high school teams and have used this website, along with YouTube, to further my limited knowledge on pitching. Between Boardmember and Bill Hillhouse I think I’ve got a pretty good grasp on the fundamentals of a pitch and how to teach it. I developed a number of pitchers in the Shreveport/Bossier area of Louisiana back in the late nineties, I wish I knew then what I know now. I also took my daughter to Tim Timmons who was a pretty decent PC back in his day as well. His philosophy was spin spin spin. Not a bad philosophy to have. I saw an interview with Cat Osterman once and she credited him as one of her influential coaches as well.

After working this summer with my latest pitching project/prospect I’ve got her arm whip down pretty good. I took to heart Boardmember’s thread on I/R, my student has a pretty decent 1/7 rotation from the k-drill, nice velocity, nice movement from one plane to another. She’s not 100 percent with performing this every time but gets better by the week and I’ve got another six months before Europeans start. Where I’m struggling now is how to get this same motion into her leap and drag. It seems as though as soon as she leaps the ball slows down and she loses her spin. I suspect she’s trying to push versus flicking it with a “whipper snapper” motion. This summer when we were learning how to whip the ball it came in an instant after weeks of trying. It was not gradual, in one outing she had it. I’m wondering if incorporating these two skill sets together will take the same ah-ha moment or do you guys know of any drills that will help? I’ve searched high and low. We’ve worked on dry leaping and dragging, she looks pretty good. Put a ball in her hand it all goes to pot. When she does power k-drills and she looks all world. How do I marry these two together without hundreds of hours of practice waiting for her “oh that’s how it works” moment. We’ve gone back to working on whip, snap and spin with Circle-Ks and dry leaping until I can make sure I’m on the right track.

My thoughts on torque. I won't claim to be the or an expert on pitching, most of what I currently know has been picked up here and on various websites including YouTube, but what I will add to the discussion is my own observation working with both hitters and pitchers. There is some commonality between the two skill sets. Most high school pitchers are also their teams number three and four batters. This could be because pitchers are typically the best athletes on the HS team but I also think there is a corollary effect from learning how to work with front side resistance as leverage for generating power and creating a stable platform. When teaching hitters I lean more towards rotation (core torque) for generating power while in pitching it seems to be more of a linear motion with a touch of core torque and a lot of arm whip. No matter which hitting technique you teach…front side resistance it the key to driving through the ball. The core torque in pitching might just be an illusion, I’m starting to suspect the torque movement is the body’s way of creating a throw zone without leaning over, which we see some pitchers do. In the shoulder/elbow/wrist/fingers there are four degrees of freedom that take literally years of practice to perfect. In a full pitch, from launch to the ball being released off the fingertips there seems to be at least ten degrees of freedom depending on how you count. All required to be sequentially performed in a seamless movement. If just anyone could do it then everyone would be a pitcher. Some have spoken about injury and arm damage. Not everyone’s body is capable of being a pitcher. Same with any sport, some bodies can’t take it and that’s the way it is. Catching is hard on the knees, some girls and boys aren’t capable. I doubt I would ever dumb down what I teach in order for everyone to do the skill.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Hey guys, I’m a little late to the discussion so maybe a few of you are still following this thread and can help out.

My thoughts on torque. I won't claim to be the or an expert on pitching, most of what I currently know has been picked up here and on various websites including YouTube, .

Welcome to my MHanson place :cool: WillyT812... Nice to have interaction with one in the world of the "good glass & stones" I can relate to your quest. Here are a couple things that I'm thinking that I can help you with:

If you have a DD that pitches, or has pitched... your are the expert !!! to the most important being in the universe. Having done your best is based on time spent with....regardless of results !!! Regrets are Redeemable...

Sounds like you know the drill. Application Video. Sounds as though you have tapped the .www and have harvested confidence!!! and project that you are capable of producing it in others !!! Your 1st post, shows an ability to outline an overview, and a possibility of producing a history of positive progression... and have been a Dragon Slayer... fearless in melting myths. My kinda Dad.

Looking forward to hearing & seeing more from you... and honestly thinking you just might be the guy that can see my efforts. The name of the game is Fastpitch. Good Lenses & Stoneware to you...~PC

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
"I suspect she’s trying to push versus flicking it with a 'whipper snapper' motion."

Boy, that stopped me in my tracks as I read Willy's post! I'm going to start using that terminology with my pitchers, as I have tried to avoid saying "wrist-snap" because those who belong to the "hello-elbow" religion say "wrist-snap."

Oct 22, 2009
"I suspect she’s trying to push versus flicking it with a 'whipper snapper' motion."

Boy, that stopped me in my tracks as I read Willy's post! I'm going to start using that terminology with my pitchers, as I have tried to avoid saying "wrist-snap" because those who belong to the "hello-elbow" religion say "wrist-snap."

:p I usually come up with some spur of the moment terms in my classes. Just yesterday one my parents told me how impressed she was of my pitching terminology.....she said this after the use of one of my favorite terms...."wonky".

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Where I’m struggling now is how to get this same motion into her leap and drag. It seems as though as soon as she leaps the ball slows down and she loses her spin. I suspect she’s trying to push versus flicking it with a “whipper snapper” motion.

WillyT,
Welcome to DFP!

javasource has a method for teaching leg drive that may be helpful for you. As I understand, he creates a progressive, natural and flowing connection between whip and drive. Hoping he chimes in on this one.

You might also consider starting a new thread so your inquiry can be addressed directly.

Ken

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Hi Willy,

There’s a lot to process in your post… and I’ll need to make some assumptions… all of which you can correct me on if I’m wrong… and honestly… a quick video of the K drill AND the falling-to-pieces pitch – would be INCREDIBLY helpful – and take all of the guess work out… Could you do that?

My first impression is that this is a timing issue – and that once she incorporates the front-half of the pitch, her stride and arm circle timing are out of whack. But, I’ve seen so many versions of the K drill to know that it could also be a plethora of other causes…

This statement confuses me, though…

It seems as though as soon as she leaps the ball slows down and she loses her spin. I suspect she’s trying to push versus flicking it with a “whipper snapper” motion.

Do you mean that something mechanically happens during the leap that negatively impacts the spin she gets at release?

Again, I’m just reading your post… not criticizing here… but the repetitive alluding to snap and whipper-snapper (albeit a really funny expression) make me think that her i/r mechanics aren’t that ingrained… most snappers internally rotate their arm by 9 o’clock – and then perform that completely unnecessary forced snap of the wrist. If this is the case, it leads me to believe (guess) that she is cocking her wrist when she performs the full motion… which WILL cause the ball to turn out, and her to lose at least half of the i/r she could get otherwise…. Again…I’m totally shooting in the dark here…

So…when she does the k-drill, 1) she is already passed the top of the circle and has repositioned her hand to prevent this turnout (cocked wrist or not), and 2) is getting better speed from the increased i/r.

I hope this helps… and I REALLY HOPE YOU POST A VIDEO. PLEASE?! ;)

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I did teach my daughter to pitch many many moons ago. In fact I was one of those infamous "hello elbow" teachers we all demonize now that we're all so smart. ;) In fact, out of eleven high schools in Shreveport/Bossier five of the starting pitchers were at one time or another on my travel team (The Louisiana Hot Sauce). My DD her senior year was district MVP and honorable mention all-state.

So fast forward to this past spring when through happenstance I happed to land at one of the local high schools helping out. I tried to help as best I could with pitching but trying to change anything during the middle of a season is foolish. The senior starter graduated and I was left to develop a sophomore who needed a total rebuild. I started during the season with her teaching what I knew...hello elbow. We took a break in June/July at which time I started my research on teaching pitching again after a ten year break. I can't thank Boardmember enough for his Classroom I/R thread. I am a convert. Anyone and everyone who sees the pitcher I'm working with are amazed at her progress she's made in such a short amount of time. I think she's about fifty percent of where she'll need to be come the Europeans (DOD playoffs for HS). But I think she's got a touch of OCD, this girl can go two hours a day everyday if I would.

Quick note on wrist snap, from what I've seen watching the highspeed video of Finch and Scarborough there is no such thing as a wrist snap. Not with IR anyway and not in the traditional way one would think of a wrist snap. The ball faces third right as the arm rotates and is propelled off of the fingers. I believe the snapping of the wrist is just left over residue much like Finch's elbow snap after the ball is long gone. I tell my girls I'm working with...we flick the ball...we are not snappers...flick...flick...flick. When they rotate/whip with power and flick the ball off the fingers it's a thing of beauty.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
JS, I think you're right on target. This week I told her we were going back to k-drills until the whip/flick was automatic. I have a confession, I have been pitching hello elbow since I taught my daughter back in the mid nineties. I got frustrated with the girl I'm working with now, she seemed to have it and then lost it...the whip. So we stood about thirty feet apart doing Ks. I finally said to myself this is it, I can't teach it unless I can do it and for the first time in my life I whipped it with a perfect flick/snap. The ball came out with incredible spin at a 1 to 7 angle and jumped from one plane to another...it was dramatic. My student said it was "scary" at her end. Heck, I couldn't sleep that night thinking about it. The key? I quit trying to snap the wrist and just let the rotation do the work. The harder I cranked the whip the more the ball spun. Now she can see it coming at her, we can talk about the feel of not snapping but letting the arm rotation do the work with a little bit of finger magic thrown in for good measure.

Isn't this thread about core torque? Sorry:(

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I will take some video this week and post. For those who want a good tool get an iPad and load coaches eye. We use it everyday for visual feed back. I have videos loaded of all the greats as examples for my students to see while we're practicing.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Quick note on wrist snap, from what I've seen watching the highspeed video of Finch and Scarborough there is no such thing as a wrist snap. Not with IR anyway and not in the traditional way one would think of a wrist snap. The ball faces third right as the arm rotates and is propelled off of the fingers. I believe the snapping of the wrist is just left over residue much like Finch's elbow snap after the ball is long gone. I tell my girls I'm working with...we flick the ball...we are not snappers...flick...flick...flick. When they rotate/whip with power and flick the ball off the fingers it's a thing of beauty.

Good stuff!

There are no muscle memory training drills/exercises that can duplicate the power of a whip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez