Crazy High Batting Averages

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Canyonjoe, I deleted my posts before you responded. They weren't on topic. I remembered that a player had 3 k's in an entire season, looked it up to confirm it and then I got really, really sidetracked which is just like me.

Yes, a kid hitting .750 is spectacular. I just don't believe avg deserves the weight some people give it and because all scorekeepers are different it can be hard to compare apples to apples.

No problem. I'm just saying it was an amazing hitting season. They weren't bunts either. Just hard shot after hard shot low liners hard grounders that would hit gaps all day with a few HR's. Average did drop to 525 in 14U the next season as a 12 year old.

I do agree on scorekeeper. We have one on new team who never gives an error and counts FC as hits. I just do my DD's on my own to make it make sense.

Nov 14, 2011
We have a local kid playing HS ball that is batting above .700. But when you look at the fact that she is playing in 1A ball, on fields that don't have an outfield fence and that the competition is horrible the batting average doesn't mean much. When she plays in 18u ASA she bats near .300. Stats are only as good as the person recording them and the team you are playing.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
.500-.650 is a common average for the upper half of good tb players. I had a girl last year who didn't strike out one time all fall and winter season. Probably about 50 at bats, she gounded or flew out the whole time. Finished with about a .750....

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
.500-.650 is a common average for the upper half of good tb players.

My theory would be that .500-.650 has less to do with how good the player is and more to do with a mismatch between batter and the level of play. There are probably more .500 hitters on C-level teams than on A-level teams.

That doesn't contradict your statement, however. It might be that the ''upper half of good TB players'' are commonly hitting .500. I just wonder if the ''upper half of good TB players'' are mostly facing the really good pitching that would make it kinda hard to do that. The upper half of good college players don't commonly hit .500. So not sure if that's true for the upper half of good TB players either.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
My theory would be that .500-.650 has less to do with how good the player is and more to do with a mismatch between batter and the level of play. There are probably more .500 hitters on C-level teams than on A-level teams.

That doesn't contradict your statement, however. It might be that the ''upper half of good TB players'' are commonly hitting .500. I just wonder if the ''upper half of good TB players'' are mostly facing the really good pitching that would make it kinda hard to do that. The upper half of good college players don't commonly hit .500. So not sure if that's true for the upper half of good TB players either.

With MS, you live at your address. To keep the truant officer off your case, you attend. You sign up for softball, you play. You get a batting average. That's what I'm talking about. Regardless of the travelers, which would only be relevant if you didn't live in a State Champ hotbed like we do... :cool:

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
With MS, you live at your address. To keep the truant officer off your case, you attend. You sign up for softball, you play. You get a batting average. That's what I'm talking about. Regardless of the travelers, which would only be relevant if you didn't live in a State Champ hotbed like we do... :cool:

I know, and my point wasn't to pooh on .600 hitters. As I noted earlier, my daughter hit about .570 in middle school, and I enjoyed every single hit. Not criticizing .600 hitters, just analyzing them and their habitat.

Jun 17, 2013
Middle Georgia
Nice job! Sounds like it's time to up her competition.

This is correct 100%. In this thread we're hearing of batting averages that have to be the result of facing pitchong below the hitter's level. As it was said, there's no choice with MS/HS ball, but therenshould be no .500 + averages too far into a season, unless stat padding is the goal. If college is a goal, then the coaches are going to either ignore the stats, or take them with a grain of salt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG