Coverage on Steal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
This is my DD first year in high school ball. The coach has 2B cover 2nd on a steal only if the batter is a leftie. SS covers otherwise. I've seen another high school do this as well. In travel ball, I've only seen the SS cover 2nd on all steals if the only runner is on 1st.

I'm sure there is a very good reason for this, but I'm not sure what it is. Can someone help me out?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Most lefty slappers can bunt or drag bunt to the left side. Tell me who covers first base with this defense? If we caught this we would bunt and steal every time.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I asked my DD about bunt coverage last night. She's the 2B. She says, "That's what I want to know, I guess I'd better not break early, huh?"

I think she needs to revisit with coach. He's also the baseball coach, so I thought maybe that's where it came from. He does a pretty good job overall. Does some things differently than what she learned in travel ball, but that doesn't make them wrong. Most of the time I can figure out a reason, but this one stumps me. He only has 2 weeks between start of practice and 1st games to get these girls ready. There's quite a skill difference, 3 travel ball players, 3-4 rec players and a couple that only play high school. Middle infielders are his most experienced players, so I would go with what they're used to doing, but that's me.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619